Super Contributor

Re: •••Mental Illness is No Laughing Matter😔 •••

@lulu2 wrote:

Our mother suffered from manic depression which in turn lead to addiction to both pills and alcohol.

It was not a laughing matter, EVER.

Actually, the medical term describing the condition is no longer called manic depression. It is called Bipolar, a term to describe both components of this disorder of the brain i.e. mania and depression.

It is certainly a very serious medical issue that can be managed by proper medication/therapy just as many other medical conditions are.

So sorry about your Mother, unfortunately, the self-medication is an effort to manage their symptoms and is very common.

Honored Contributor

I have never seen an adult make fun of some one with mental illness in publc, but I have seen grade schoolers and teens laugh or point. A lot of the problem with young people and their insensitivity to those who are different is because they have no boundaries and have not learned or been taught to be empathetic. My Mother had mental illness in the form of depression and my Dad was a sociopath, I can tell you it was no fun growing up in that enviornment. No one ever made fun of my parents, but they sure felt sorry for us kids and were forever telling us that they were.

Honored Contributor

@glorybe wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Our mother suffered from manic depression which in turn lead to addiction to both pills and alcohol.

It was not a laughing matter, EVER.

Actually, the medical term describing the condition is no longer called manic depression. It is called Bipolar, a term to describe both components of this disorder of the brain i.e. mania and depression.

It is certainly a very serious medical issue that can be managed by proper medication/therapy just as many other medical conditions are.

So sorry about your Mother, unfortunately, the self-medication is an effort to manage their symptoms and is very common.

Thank you for your kind words.  Our mother died in the early 1970's, long before they used the term bipolar disorder.

I believe the term manic depression is still used in some parts of the world.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2

I have still heard the term manic depressive.  It is sad, because depending on whether it is bipolar I or Bipolar II it is hard to treat.  Years ago they did not have the RX;s they have today like Depakote, Lamictal, Carbatrol and such.  They would treat the mania with sedatives, and the depression with uppers or other drugs.  They also would use common drugs for mental illness like Stelazine,Thorazine, Halidol and many others that was used in other mental illnesses such as schitzophrenia. Such different diseases, but that is all they knew before 30 years ago. I think it was a cra  p shoot.  Most Bipolar patients do self medicate, until they seek treatment.  But as soon as the depression is gone and a rapid cycle starts they stop.  They feel confident and good usually when the mania starts.  It couldn't be easy to live around.  I am sorry

Respected Contributor

Thanks everybody for the interesting

posts and perspectives.

👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••