Respected Contributor

Men or women Doctors....any preference?

Yesterday I went to a Dermatologist for my yearly body check for cancers.  I went to a new one who was woman.  I really like her.  I started thinking and the Doctors I have who are women are the ones I like best ...Family practice, Gyn, and now derm....I see a heart and lung doctor who are men and they are very cold and I don't feel comfortable around them.  I would like to replace them with women.  The women seem to treat me like a person and the men treat me like a number.  I know all men doctors are not like that since I did have gyn years ago who was great.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Men or women Doctors....any preference?

I prefer women doctors.

Honored Contributor

My husband had a female Dr that was awful.We finally requested someone else. It was a man ,and you couldn't have asked for a nicer person

BTW many Drs. we see. are female. including out PCP. I don't generalize.. I take each one as they are. and then decide

Respected Contributor

Men.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Best doctor

Honored Contributor

I've had doctors of both genders that I felt no connection with and the opposite has also been true which means that right now I see a mixed panel of medical personnel.  The individual counts more than the gender.

One difference that seems to be gender related, but which is probably also just the few people I've run into is that when they are in a support role, the women are more attentive to detail and to me as the patient than the men.

Honored Contributor

In my lifetime I've had both, my first gyno was a male, he was very good. He had a brother in his practice too and when mine retired the bro did not so I moved to seeing him but he was not at all a nice guy. I then switched to seeing a female nurse pract. She was great as she was also hooked to a 'Women's Center' for health. She not only saw me for my gyno side of the house but the center was very much into many other health concerns and practices not necessarily geared all towards women.  I still go to that facil even though Jenn my original girl left to teach solely for a while.

Our PCP is male, always has been. He's an absolute great guy, very personable, friendly, great personality AND keeps up with everythnig family practice.

I could care less if I see a male or female just as long as they are nice people and keeps up to date with what's new, knowledgeable, easy to work with and gives both of us their time of day.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t go to doctors much.When I do I judge each on their individual merits,male or female.

Honored Contributor

All of my doctors with the exception of my cardilogist are female, the medical group I go to has a great choice in practitioners

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I used to have a lady gyne, my Mom took me to her when I was a teenager with very irregular and painful periods. I  went to her until in my 50's she retired, and sold her practice to a man. I was nervous about seeing a male gyne but he was great and I went to him until after menopause, when he told me I did not need to see him anymore.

I don't think male or female doctors make much difference.