Respected Contributor

Re: Men or women Doctors....any preference?

Women, because they have better health outcomes for their patients.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/12/19/506144346/patients-cared-for-by-female-doctors-...

Respected Contributor

Now that there are many female physicians I choose those.    For many years, there were primarily make doctors.  I saw male ob-gyns for my 3 pregnancies and they delivered the babies.  They were fine, I had no choice!  Happy we have choices today!   

Respected Contributor

My last Doctor was male and I had been with him for 5 years.He moved to another town. I chose my next Doctor [male] and I got a combo team of male and female. So I have both right now. What weirds me out is the female Doctor looks like Bernadette from Big Bang Theory and my male Doctor looks like a very young Herb Alpert [the trumpet player] so he is like Dr. McDreamy to me.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

much prefer male doctors over women no matter what specialty. 

Valued Contributor

Me too only men
Honored Contributor

I've had both and really have no gender preference .... just want the best I can find.

My selection criteria  for best "bedside manner" also depends on how often I would see them in a year.  For example, if I needed brain surgery, (hopefully only once),  I would want the very best doctor, even if they didn't have a good bedside manner ....  qualifications matter more than anything else.

Having said that, I have a female rheumatologist whose two daughters have been to medical school and are now  following in Mom's footsteps ..... this is the very first Mother & Daughter medical practice I've ever heard of .... and think it's very cool.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a "bean counter".  For me that's not even on my radar screen when it comes to my healthcare.  I prefer the best qualified doctor I can find for whatever in/on me needs "doctoring".

Honored Contributor

I found a great gyno office 30 years ago, they staff with all women doctors.  Mom referred me to this all-female-doctor office and I've stayed with them ever since.  Mine just retired 2 years ago but i have another women dr now.  Their approach is wonderful and they really listen and understand.

My regular dr is male and I've been with him for 25 years and he's very good.  

Respected Contributor

My Gyno is a woman....but when I was having my kids I went to a practice that had all men back then.  I do prefer for the last 15yrs to see a woman as my Gyno.

My internist is a man and he's a good doctor....tried a woman once and she wasn't up on treating thyroid disease at all and wanted to LOWER my medication based on TSH!  But that is a problem that doesn't have anything to do with gender...it's just plain old ignorance of how the thyroid works and treating a patient with Hashimoto's.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have really had some great ones and horrible ones, both male and female honestly.