Honored Contributor

Men Jump Off a Mountain and INTO a Plane!

[ Edited ]

You've all probably seen this already-- I'm always the last to catch up with stuff.

ASTOUNDING.   Even the most jaded person must be mesmerized to see this youtube video of "wingsuit fliers" jump off one of Europe's most famous mountains, the Jungfrau, and aim to jump into the door of an airplane in MID-FLIGHT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9sNrOlK-I

Never even heard of wingsuit fliers.  To me they look like little webbed ducks, determinedly honing in to snuggle safely under their mother's wings, ha.

Query:   When they make it, why do the crew triumphantly shout "Ye--esss!" in English, instead of "Oui!"

Edited to add--  I just had to compulsively watch it again.  It was on ABC News, so as improbable as it looks, it wasn't hoked up or anything-- it's real!

Honored Contributor

Re: Men Jump Off a Mountain and INTO a Plane!

I'm surprised at your reaction, @hopi.  Is it the danger you object to? 

i would think such feats might have military applications.  Admittedly, I would explode with anxiety before ever undertaking such a feat, but I admire the daring and skill of these guys, and fully enjoy their exuberance!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

You've all probably seen this already-- I'm always the last to catch up with stuff.

ASTOUNDING.   Even the most jaded person must be mesmerized to see this youtube video of "wingsuit fliers" jump off one of Europe's most famous mountains, the Jungfrau, and aim to jump into the door of an airplane in MID-FLIGHT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9sNrOlK-I

Never even heard of wingsuit fliers.  To me they look like little webbed ducks, determinedly honing in to snuggle safely under their mother's wings, ha.

Query:   When they make it, why do the crew triumphantly shout "Ye--esss!" in English, instead of "Oui!"

Edited to add--  I just had to compulsively watch it again.  It was on ABC News, so as improbable as it looks, it wasn't hoked up or anything-- it's real!

@Oznell

Why did they sau, "Yes!", instead of, "Oui!"?

Maybe because they speak more than one language.

A lot of people do.

Good for them and what they did!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Plaid Pants2.  It's clear that they are all bilingual, perhaps multilingual like so many Europeans.  It's just amusing to me that in moments of high drama, they didn't revert to their native French, but used the universal English signal of triumph,  an almost hissed, "Ye--esssss!"

Honored Contributor

I saw that a few days ago,could not believe my eyes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Thank you, @Plaid Pants2.  It's clear that they are all bilingual, perhaps multilingual like so many Europeans.  It's just amusing to me that in moments of high drama, they didn't revert to their native French, but used the universal English signal of triumph,  an almost hissed, "Ye--esssss!"

Since 2008, pilots and air traffic controllers are required to speak English in an effort to improve safety standards.  More than likely when they are in the plane they revert to English even when conversing with each other.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~