Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
They not only shake hands but pat butts as well.

Okay I have to say I have NOT seen this in every day life except on the football field or basketball court. Yikes.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Well, yeah. No yikes about it. I see nothing untoward about it. That's just what some guys do.

That is a bit too personal for my comfort zone even though I am a huge hugger. And I know my hubby, who does hug also, would not like people (men or women) patting his butt.  There must be some personal space and areas of off limits imo. 

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I thought we were talking about athletes and not your husband.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
They not only shake hands but pat butts as well.

Okay I have to say I have NOT seen this in every day life except on the football field or basketball court. Yikes.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Well, yeah. No yikes about it. I see nothing untoward about it. That's just what some guys do.

That is a bit too personal for my comfort zone even though I am a huge hugger. And I know my hubby, who does hug also, would not like people (men or women) patting his butt.  There must be some personal space and areas of off limits imo. 

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I thought we were talking about athletes and not your husband.

Actually now you have me confused. I thought your inital post about butt patting was referring to the average Joe getting his butt patted, not athletes were as I pointed out that the only time I've seen that happen was with athletes. So I don't understand your post. But anyway, my husband IS an athelete but they don't pat each others butts. However, I watch professional sports and HS sport and seem them do that. It doesn't matter to me, I just don't want anyone doing it to me and I know my husband wouldn't either. This is a silly conversation, actually.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

i have noticed lately that men not only shake hands, but they hug each other.  i have nothing against it, but when did this start?  it seems that all are doing it.  even women don't hug everyone they meet. 

is this a new fad? 

@ladyroxanne

Speaking as a male, guess I am missing all this men hugging you are seeing. I am not "a hugger" of either gender. That was not something that I experienced growing up seeing only my mother's family. Most of them could'l lower themselves to stoop to visiting us in our Public Housing Home.

Needless to say, they were not too keen on us lowly kids or my mother being seen going into their precious homes. My, "what would their neighbors say"?

My wife's paternal and maternal HUGE families hugged every time the met. I did my best to avoid their hugs, but didn't work too well. There are only a few men, or woman I hug, or have ever hugged. My wife's brother I have never hugged, until their mother died late last July. It comforted me and I suspect it did the same for him. 

I see nothing wrong with men hugging each other, but only if is because they truly care for each other, not just as a friendly salutation, much like shaking hands.

A fad? Beats me, but I haven't seen much of it, so maybe it depends on what part of the globe a person, or their families are raised.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut

thank you john.  i appreciate your viewpoint.

Honored Contributor

There's kind of a psychological permission around now, letting men know it's ok to hug and show affection.  That hasn't always been true in this culture.

It's a good thing imo.

Respected Contributor

Family of huggers here. Same with the extended family. I see men hugging all the time. It's often take an arm and then some type of sideways contact, but it's a hug. I worked with mostly men and in numerous offices. I got hugs all the time from men (and women) when we hadn't seen each other for awhile, and they were always appropriate, quick, nothing crushing or grabby. I think the pressure cooker environment we worked in and the long hours forged great friendships and almost a family. I think that makes a difference. 

Honored Contributor

I don't see many men or women hugging around here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Men Hugging Each Other

[ Edited ]

i come from a culture where men not only hug each other, but they also do a double kiss.....one on each cheek. this is something i saw often since i was a baby.....women do the same......and no air kisses.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't know where some of y'all live, but here in Oklahoma there is lots of hugging going on: men hug men and women; women hug men and women; and a lot of us hug dogs, cats and horses.  Not cows so much. . . 

Respected Contributor

what has really struck me is complete strangers meeting for the first time hugging and even kissing each other. 

that doesn't ring true for me