Honored Contributor

akaBurtonFan:  Yes!  Window shopping!  That was always an enjoyable thing to do together.   Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

What a lovely thread. I lost I lost my mom in 2003 and have missed her so much. No one is like your mother for friendship, loyal support and love unconditionally.

My mom was all of those things and best friend always. I loved spending time and did so every weekend when possible. I have three brothers and no sisters, and I was always sorry when I couldn't spend time with her. We shopped every weekend, had lunch out and we both just had a good time. There was no one in my life I was ever so happy or comfortable with. 

For those who still have their mothers, please take time to think of everything you want to know about her as a mother, friend. I still have so many questions that I never asked about her, apart from being mother and just her personal self. I wish she were here.

Esteemed Contributor
My mom is the rock of our family. Every time we moved from post to post she always made us a home the moment we arrived. We learned from her to roll with it.

I remember her piling us into the car and driving through the night so we could be with my dad for breakfast.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so lucky to still have my Mom.  She has always been an angel on earth.  She help raise her brothers and sister. Babysat my kids. Took care of our Dad for many years.   This is her first Mothers Day without my Dad. The first time in her life she only has to take care of her self.

My sisters, me and our Mom are going away overnight tomorrow. 

My Mom's senior HS photo is a knockout. I made copies and framed them for all of us.  My Dad used to say "Rise and Shine, pretty eyes" I found "Rise and Shine" on coffee mugs for my sisters. Mom is getting one that says "Best Mom Ever" and some $$ for "the boat"

Respected Contributor

My Mom is still alive with health issues but she's tough and strong.  My memories of her were unloving, no affection, cold, verbal and physical abuse.  I learned from her though.  I learned to love my children by supporting them, loving and hugging them daily, keeping them close to my heart and protecting them, and instilling in them to be kind to all and be true to themselves and most important, they have my never-ending love.

I still respect her to this day, mostly out of fear.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

My mother passed away in 2007, a few weeks before her 90th birthday.  I miss her everyday and always will.  Happy for the memories we had. 

My mom passed away in 2013...and like you...i miss her everyday..............talked to her everyday......hard to be without her.....but there are times i feel her presence.  It doesn't matter how old you grow to be.....it is always hard to lose your mom.   I sympathize with you and i wish you a day of lovely memories this coming Mothers Day.

Respected Contributor

Re: Memories of your Mother

[ Edited ]

I'm not much of a poet, but these thoughts came to me about my mom after reflecting on this thread....  thanks @SydneyH.

Tiny fingers and toes, tickled with your sweet kisses.

Cradled in your love.

Warm.

Comfort… protect… embrace.

Family Crisis Manager and Smoother-Over,

touching all with your grace and kindness.

Feed me a plate of your wisdom; so much to digest.  I am full.

Loving life, the light dancing within your eyes. Wrinkled, crinkled laugh.

Time passes and you still dance around me – I can’t keep up with you!

Petite powerhouse.

Spry.  Defy age.

Always there.  Always care.

I love you mom.

Valued Contributor

My mother passed away in 2008 at the age of 93.  I am guessing many of our mothers grew up in the depression, as did my dad. That impacted her life so much, and she was very frugal. However, when it came to me, her only child, she and my dad spared no expense.  She got a degree in politcal science and taught until she met my dad.  She was a wonderful seamstress and made many of my clothes. She was my dad's partner in his merchantile business. She stood faithfully with my dad when he suffered through cancer. She picked up her life when she was widowed at 61.  She was a wonderful mentor and faithful Christian.  She took me to church where I learned the Bible and consequently asked Jesus into my heart.  She gave me piano lessons and insisted I stay in lessons until I graduated from high school. Because of lessons, I have had a wonderful career in music.  That's only a small part of who my mother was. I am so grateful I had her. 

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

What a lovely thread. I lost I lost my mom in 2003 and have missed her so much. No one is like your mother for friendship, loyal support and love unconditionally.

My mom was all of those things and best friend always. I loved spending time and did so every weekend when possible. I have three brothers and no sisters, and I was always sorry when I couldn't spend time with her. We shopped every weekend, had lunch out and we both just had a good time. There was no one in my life I was ever so happy or comfortable with. 

For those who still have their mothers, please take time to think of everything you want to know about her as a mother, friend. I still have so many questions that I never asked about her, apart from being mother and just her personal self. I wish she were here.

I hate that I missed soo much time with her when I was being difficult.  Hopefully someone reading this will reevaluate their relationship with their mothers before it's too late.

Honored Contributor

I lost my mother at a very young age.  I was only 11 years old.  But one thing I know that mother instilled in me was a gift for and love for music.  Heart  As a very young girl mother, my older sister and I would sing in church.  She had a beautiful alto voice.  I sing soprano.  My sister played the piano. 

Mother loved flowers.  Every year she planted a flower garden in our front yard and I have a picture of her in a red dress standing by her masterpiece.  The photo is now faded but it means so much to me.  It still sits on a sofa table in my living room.   

To those of you who are fortunate to still have your mother with you, spend some time with her on Mother's Day and enjoy the memories you make.  Love her gently.  If she has gone to her eternal reward, pause to remember her and all she meant to you.  Consider her your angel of love.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~