Honored Contributor

In light of the upcoming day, anyone care to share some memories of your mother?  I'm lucky to still have mine, I'll never forget her 'meeting' my newborn children, she would only let me have them back when they needed to be fed, lol.

Respected Contributor

My mother passed away in 2007, a few weeks before her 90th birthday.  I miss her everyday and always will.  Happy for the memories we had. 

Honored Contributor

Baking cookies or a cake every single weekend, more or less.  To me it was every single weekend, unless we were on a short weekend or summer vacation.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Her best advice to me was "You make your own happiness."

Honored Contributor

Despite a few teenage traumas, my mom was my best friend. She was fair, kind and tolerant, and the best person I have ever known. When people joke about being just like their mothers, I always think I should be so lucky. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Her best advice to me was "You make your own happiness."

Wow, I'm likin' that, may have to adopt it.  Thank you for sharing it.

Trusted Contributor

My mom passed away last year so this is my first mother's day without her. One of my favorite memories is from when I was a little girl. I would sit on the ottoman by her chair and she would brush my hair and braid it over and over -- it makes me tear up just thinking about it. 

When I was older we would spend Friday evenings downtown window shopping. We didn't need to buy anything it was just our special time together. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Memories of your Mother

[ Edited ]

My mother turned 82 a couple weeks ago.  She went to college to become a teacher.  In her first year of teaching, she met my father.  He was a teacher in the same school.  Once they married, she became pregnant with me and gave up her career.  Fifteen months later, my sister arrived.  My mother dedicated her life to raising us.  She will, and still does, give up anything to ensure we had whatever it is we need.  There is nothing she won't do for us.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Memories of your Mother

[ Edited ]

I moved back to the upper Midwest in the early 80s for myriad reasons, the greatest of which my mom had been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and I wanted to be closer to her to offer love and support. I gave up a great job in San Francisco but knew, in time, I would be making an equivalent income. The first year was tough. One week, I had $10.00 left to make it through the week. I was determined not to ask my parents for help. That week, I came home from work to find a letter from my mom in the mailbox with $40.00 in it, the note saying, "I just had a feeling you could use a little extra cash." 

That was my mom, a beautiful spirit who left this world a few years later at 63. Much too soon. It's been almost 30 years and I still miss her kindness and love. I was so blessed.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH, thank you for starting this thread. It brought back some wonderful memories, I cried a bit, but it was so welcome.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop