Honored Contributor

Memories of Movie Experiences

[ Edited ]

The thread about movies started me thinking about things that happened along the way when I went to a movie theater. I can define my life by going to the movies, from the time I was a child, to the teenage dates, and on from there on. These are a few things that happened to me:

When I was a senior in high school, I took my best friend with me to chaperone my little brother and his "date." There was hardly anyone in the theater (small main street one). We sat in the back and talked quietly for the whole movie. I don't even remember what it was!

DH and I went to an older main street theater to see a showing of Apocalypse Now. Almost halfway through we saw firemen come in and run down the aisle, dragging hoses and going up to the screen. There was smoke on the screen (the movie). I turned and looked to the back of the theater and to this day I thought I saw smoke! The movie kept playing, no one left, and the firemen left. We never did find out what exactly happened!

We went to see Apollo 13 at another older movie theater. It was the end of July and the temperature outside was about 100 degrees. Someone came out while we were waiting outside for the previous show to get out and said the air conditioner was not working, but they were still going to show the movie. We decided to go in anyway, as did most people in line with us. I had a maxi dress on. You can imagine what it was like inside with all of us and no air conditioning!

We went to see Eyes Wide Shut, not really knowing what it was about, but knowing it starred Nicole and Tom. This was at a multiplex. About halfway through, the movie stopped. We waited, someone came in , apologized and said they were fixing it, then the same person finally came back and said they couldn't fix it. They gave us all tickets to come back any time the next day. We didn't go back!

And my favorite: DH and I had just started dating when someone gave him tickets to a drive in movie. I hadn't been to one since I was little, and I was excited about going. I bought a new outfit and couldn't wait. He picked me up, smelling SO good, and we drove there. The movie had just started when his pager went off and he left to make a call from the office. Someone had found an injured hawk and DH was on call. So we left and I got to watch him and others put on gloves and tend to the hawk. It had a broken wing, but was going to be OK. And they eventually turned it over to a wild bird sanctuary. What a magnificent proud bird! And if I hadn't already been "smitten," I was then! Smiley Wink

What are some of yours?

Honored Contributor

Re: Memories of Movie Experiences

@beach-mom -

Aw so cute! And yes I would have been instantly in love too with a guy

who had a pager to rescue a hurt hawk!Heart

My best movie experiences were going to the new great movie theater with family and our 2 best "uncle" friends to celebrate birthdays together at the movies. The ones that had luxurious seats, wine and great food. I think it was the first Star Wars with Chris Pine.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

What great memories for you. I too have some movie theater memories. The first was the ceiling collapsed during Star Wars and soaked and hit all the people in the front rows. We went to a small town theatre and watched Mission Impossible no air conditioning and it was 91 degrees. They hired two people to walk around with fans. 🤣 Did not help at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

My best memories of the movies, definately the drive-in when we were kids!   I loved doing that ........it was so much fun to play on the swings prior to the movie starting in our pajamas.   Then my dad would go get the popcorn and my mom would bring us back to the car and get us all set up with our pillows and blankets.  It was excitement for us.

Due to all the virus craziness I have been hearing drive ins might come back!!!

We do, however have one of the last remaining ones still in operation in nearby Mass.

I used to bring my kids when they were young so they could have the same experience.

Honored Contributor

DH and I went to see The Fly. The wife of the guy who was turned into the fly (I think his head was on the fly thanks to a mad scientist's telephone booth type machine) and she found out what had happened and confined the fly till she figured out how to bring back hubby. The 'fly' got loose and she chased it all over the room, trying not to lose track of it. ZZZZZ.......zzzzzzz all around the room. Whoops. She lost sight of it. Couldn't find it. We, the audience, kept looking for it, too. Then the camera zoomed in on it-on a lampshade or something. I swear, EVERYONE in the theater, at the same time, in a loud whisper yelled, "there he is!" And then we all laughed. The camaraderie was so great. 

Honored Contributor

I remember standing in line to get tickets w/ DH to see The Exorcist. All of a sudden a huge group of "streakers" went by!!!! 😮. Remember those? Much better than the movie. 

Honored Contributor

@godi -

Those both sound awful!

You do not have any luck with movie theaters!

I don't know if I would go with you!😬

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

My best memories of the movies, definately the drive-in when we were kids!   I loved doing that ........it was so much fun to play on the swings prior to the movie starting in our pajamas.   Then my dad would go get the popcorn and my mom would bring us back to the car and get us all set up with our pillows and blankets.  It was excitement for us.

Due to all the virus craziness I have been hearing drive ins might come back!!!

We do, however have one of the last remaining ones still in operation in nearby Mass.

I used to bring my kids when they were young so they could have the same experience.

@LindaSal   Also loved drive in movies and also went in my pjs. We had an old station wagon w/ wood on the sides and Dad would set up the back like a bed. My brother and I never cared what movie was playing, just enjoyed the experience. 

Respected Contributor

I saw Poltergeist at a theater on the boardwalk in NJ and everyone pounded their feet on the wooden floor during the scary parts and it was great.