Trusted Contributor

Re: Memorials On Car Windows

[ Edited ]

I would see them all over the place when we lived in MD. I have seen few here in FLorida. 

I have seen the roadside memorials all over the world; not just a US thing.

My opinion: I don't have one. Who the $#&& am I to tell someone how to grieve/how to feel. When I see them I think "God bless the family members and friends who have lost their loved one. May they find peace". And then I do the sign of the cross.

I have a Celtic Mothers' Heart inked on my left forearm. Within it are the markings of my 4 living sons as well as the son and daughter I lost when they were babies. I've had people comment (after learning what it was and what it meant) that it was:

*foolish

*stupid*

*morbid

and then proceed to tell me how I should feel. Oh really? Who deemed you All Knowing and an expert on how I or anyone else should feel about losing someone we love?

That's it really.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

When my son was 18, one of his friends and girlfriend was shot by a jealous ex-boyfriend. His friend died ,but the girlfriend did survive with life changing injuries. He and his friends were in disbelief that something like that would happen. Being so young, this incident really shook them all up. Many of them put a memorial on their car windows out of love and respect for their friend. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's an expression of love, so I respect it.

And I appreciate roadside memorials. They remind me to slow down.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

A few days ago, I saw an SUV with the entire back window inscribed with a memorial including the name of the deceased  and the dates of their birth and death.  The size was a bit uncommon but these car window memorials are not.

I just don't get it. Somehow, it seems in poor taste to me. Am I missing something here? Is it a common practice in your area?

The memorials on the back windows are common here, but it is illegal to have a lot of them on the back window. Not sure how many or how large of an area is allowed, but my friend had 3 large ones on the back of hers and got stopped and told to take two of them off. 

I don't care for them. I don't have anything on my windows or bumper stickers. Some of the things I have seen are just plain tacky in my opinion. 

Respected Contributor

The car memorials I’ve seen are not oval decals. They take up the entire rear window with letters 2-3 inches high complete with name, birth and death dates and sayings. They must be made of something that allows one to see out the rear window. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If we are to accept however another wishes to mourn and honor a deceased loved one than we should accept how others feel when they encounter those expressions.

We all are subject to our feelings which are involuntary. Feelings are not judgements.

My post was merely an interest in how widespread these window memorials were and how it came about.

Some have chosen to judge fellow posters who have shared their negative feelings about them and have freely shamed them. That seems unjust to me.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If we are to accept however another wishes to mourn and honor a deceased loved one than we should accept how others feel when they encounter those expressions.

We all are subject to our feelings which are involuntary. Feelings are not judgements.

My post was merely an interest in how widespread these window memorials were and how it came about.

Some have chosen to judge fellow posters who have shared their negative feelings about them and have freely shamed them. That seems unjust to me.

I don't think you deserve to have your head bitten off. (But it usually happens to every OP of every thread at some point.) You are entitled to your opinions. And your judgements of others.

In your original post you judged the car owners' expression of grief as being "in poor taste" and you chose to post it here to get responses on it. Some people supported your views and some didn't. Some were even handed and some were blunt. I don't think you or anyone else has been victimized here.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I have seen this quite a bit.  Not the way I prefer to memorialize a loved one but I am in no way going to judge someone who has lost a loved one.  Grief is very personal and everyone has to do it their own way.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't think you deserve to have your head bitten off. (But it usually happens to every OP of every thread at some point.) You are entitled to your opinions. And your judgements of others.

In your original post you judged the car owners' expression of grief as being "in poor taste" and you chose to post it here to get responses on it. Some people supported your views and some didn't. Some were even handed and some were blunt. I don't think you or anyone else has been victimized here.

@Porcelain What if we substitute the word "think" for the word "judged?"  Is it ok to think?  And where does one draw the line between the two words?  

If you use the word "judged" that in itself is judging.  By definition.  Are we no longer allowed to think?  

It shows how one (news reporter, written publication or other) states something colors the message rather than the word "think".  When someone is said to "judge" it puts a whole different spin on the way we percieve it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I see it occasionally, it doesn't bother me.