Valued Contributor

My dad was a Korean war vet and while he returned home, he was never the same guy who went over there.  The demons he brought home with him made life very hard for his wife and kids. He passed at the early age of 52 and I think (I hope) he found peace at last.

My family always goes and visits the gravesites of loved ones on one of the days in Memorial Day weekend.  While we don't do cookouts on Memorial Day (only July 4th and Labor Day) I somehow think that all of those men and women who made  the supreme sacrifice for our American way of life might be somehow pleased to see families gathering and enjoying the traditional "American" way of life that they died for.

Thank you and your son for all you have given so that I and others may enjoy the soft May breeze and the freedom of being American.  God bless you.

Respected Contributor

@Malcontent  and All who have lost. Condolances and respect to you and yours.

In observation of Memorial Day I follow the Flag protocol of the day.

The Flag is to be flown at Half staff from sunrise to Noon. Then, Briskly raised to  full hight from then to sundown.

I feel that is fitting.  The day dawns with resoect and solomn reflection.  Then, at the hight of the day, our Flag is raised up high as tribute and testament to those who gave all to keep the Freedoms we hold dear. 

Take to heart the solomn reason of Decoration day then remember them with gatherings and love.

Honored Contributor

This topic stirred one of the hottest debates I've ever seen here a few years ago.  The problem is that you don't know how people really feel by what they do on one day.  Some who attend services and are seemingly respectful may be doing it because they have to, but leave and not another thought.

Some people in a boat pulling skiers may have lost loved ones and be mindful of the troops 365 days a year. Or give honor to a service person every time they see one--my husband will always go thank them.

My point is people either understand, respect and support (very important) what service (all who protect us) is or they don't.  It is how they think the other 364 days that really matter.  Some who mourn most may need a picnic most.

And as a sidebar issue, I don't like to see the flag at half mast as much as we do now.  I so often drive by and see a lowered flag and wonder what's that about. I sometimes think I see it lowered almost more than flying high.  

So I'd think Memorial Day of course, death of a sitting or ex-President, and why not their wives, and I'm not sure what else, but to me the flag says we honor when lowered and we stand strong and united when flying at the top. We will not be defeated.  Personally, I like to see it flying high--like the song is about.  It makes me feel safer somehow.  It says we are resolved.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@Malcontent @ECBG 

I thank you and your families for their service to our country!  And to all serving or have served! And MALCONTENT special condolences and special honors for your son's ultimate sacrifice....Heart

Lakeland Communications supports United States Military Deployment Service  – Lakeland Communications

FROM---  We know the true meaning of Memorial Day here---

Department of the Air Force selects Port San Antonio as candidate location  for U.S. Space Command Headquarters - The City of San Antonio - Official  City Website

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor
I wrap my front porch in bunting. I think the last BBQ I went to was at my brother's house, years ago and he is a combat veteran.
This year, for sure I'll think more about our fragile democracy and all the people who fought and died to maintain it and push it forward.
Honored Contributor

You always see the working class boys going into the service.  I doubt if any President's sons served or Senators, etc.  Those young men give their lives protecting our country.  God Bless them all and their families.

@Malcontent   So sorry to hear about your son.  May he rest in peace.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 I may be mistaken, but did one of our current president's sons join an arm of the military?

Honored Contributor

I may be mistaken but I thought Beau B was in military in Iraq. I could be wrong. Now I will use Google to see anyone else or if I'm wrong.

Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

You always see the working class boys going into the service.  I doubt if any President's sons served or Senators, etc.  Those young men give their lives protecting our country.  God Bless them all and their families.

@Malcontent   So sorry to hear about your son.  May he rest in peace.

@Katcat1  George W. served. He was son of a President.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought Beau B was in military in Iraq. I could be wrong. Now I will use Google to see anyone else or if I'm wrong.

Yes, thanks for mentioning.  Beau Biden was a major in the Delaware Army National Guard and served in Iraq for a year, from 10/2008 to 9/2009.