Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought Beau B was in military in Iraq. I could be wrong. Now I will use Google to see anyone else or if I'm wrong.

Yes, thanks for mentioning.  Beau Biden was a major in the Delaware Army National Guard and served in Iraq for a year, from 10/2008 to 9/2009.

Hunter Biden was in the Navy Reserves but failed a drug test (cocaine).

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought Beau B was in military in Iraq. I could be wrong. Now I will use Google to see anyone else or if I'm wrong.

Yes, thanks for mentioning.  Beau Biden was a major in the Delaware Army National Guard and served in Iraq for a year, from 10/2008 to 9/2009.

@Lucky Charm @ValuSkr  One of Jimmy Carters sons was in Vietnam but was thrown out for smoking pot. If I got sent to Vietnam when that war was going on I would have smoked pot. Knew Hunter was a nut but didn't know about the military.

Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lucky Charm @ValuSkr  One of Jimmy Carters sons was in Vietnam but was thrown out for smoking pot. If I got sent to Vietnam when that war was going on I would have smoked pot. Knew Hunter was a nut but didn't know about the military.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Oh my gosh I didn't even know J Carter had a son, was only aware of Amy.  

ETA:  I know several people who served during the Vietnam years and were busted for hash and opium, but still got Honerable Discharges.  Were able to get the perks of college tuition help, and obtaining the mortgage help as vets.  So I guess it wasn't a total *bust*.  Pun intended!  @proudlyfromNJ 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

Oh my gosh I didn't even know J Carter had a son, was only aware of Amy.  

@Lucky Charm  Me neither. He had four children.

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@Sooner 

My youngest son died in Afghanistan.

I’m a bit sensitive over this.

@Malcontent My heart hurts for you. Thank you, for raising a beautiful son that did a job not many can do. I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know you, or him, but I will think of you on this Memorial Day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

Just a reminder for those not connected to the U.S. military: Memorial Day is a day of remembrance/mourning for those that died in service to the United States of America.

It’s not the start of BBQ season or for sales or parties.

It’s solemn.

Please consider Memorial Day as such.

@Malcontent 

Always have, always will. It is sad that there are now so many that have no idea what certain days are meant to honor. Worse are the ones that know, but do not care, others even worse. 

Almost every single person that served in the United States Military understands what this day should mean to every American citizen. I joined the United States Army when I was 18.5 years old, and was a part of it for 6 years. I was proud to do so.

Never Forget  🇺🇸

hckynut  

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

@ECBG 

Bless You and Yours that served.

@Malcontent 

Bless you for your service.

We lost our youngest in a wreck but i isn't the same.  My heart is with you and all parents that lost a child in war.

@ECBG My heart hurts for you too. I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words.

Honored Contributor

Please do not wish your friends a "happy Memorial Day".  Not appropriate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

You always see the working class boys going into the service.  I doubt if any President's sons served or Senators, etc.  Those young men give their lives protecting our country.  God Bless them all and their families.

@Malcontent   So sorry to hear about your son.  May he rest in peace.

@Katcat1    President Biden's son served and I, not from a working class family, served, along with thousands of others.  I think your premise is askew.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The local VFW put out a call for volunteers to place flags on the graves of veterans at various cemeteries.  I helped them with this remembrance.  All volunteers were invited to a "communal picnic" at the VFW lodge on May 30th.  Would it be appropriate to attend this gathering?