Regular Contributor

Re: Mellie --- the teacher who lived

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KaliaMonet@Mellie32@LTT1  Now that I think I've identified some teachers, I have a question.  On another thread we were having a gift discussion.  Someone mentioned a teacher receiving a $300. handbag from a student for Christmas . 

Question is....how would you feel about this?  Would you accept it?  Is there a policy on gifts in your District?

I was around a couple years ago when my niece, a teacher, unloaded her gifts.  It seemed to be mostly candy and lots of it.  She was anxious to get rid of it as she's a committed lifetime Weight Watcher

If I received a $300 handbag, I would feel embarassed! Plus, it's an inappropriate gift for a teacher at that price and feels... bribe-y? I would prefer school supplies since a lot of supplies come out of my pocket anyway even though I would hope students WOULDN'T spend money on me. I'm there to help them. The best gift is to see them succeed.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Kachina624 I've mostly worked in low income schools, so I've never experienced that. I don't feel comfortable accepting gifts. I'd much rather have a homemade card or note.

I've posted before about an experience I had when my child was in first grade--a school near very affluent neighborhoods.  The room moms wanted each child to give at least $100 for the teacher's Christmas gifts.  Some moms emphasized they gave more because they figured some of those kids wouldn't be able to give at that level. This first grade teacher walked away with about $2000 of gift certificates including a spa package with hotel stay and restaurants.  When I think back, that was probably one of my least favorite teachers too.  Most teachers at that school are still given expensive presents for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and end-of-the-year farewell gifts.

Those were some rich parents.

Respected Contributor

They actually weren't too bad today.  Slightly hyper to begin the day and there were a few more instances of people just being annoying to each other.  Other teachers said their kids were completely off the wall.