Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mellie --- the teacher who lived

@Mellie32 As an educator, I always found that the day after the holiday could be more difficult to manage than the actual holiday because students were either worn out or wound up from the previous day's activities.  I never thought it was a good idea to schedule a test or project due on November 1, but I've know some teachers who did that.  Hope you had a good day today!

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Congrats to all of the teachers today who made it through Halloween with their students.  A big thanks for the 4 wonderful parents that were in my room helping today.  It was moderately stress-free and fun!

@Mellie32, I say congrats too. When I helped a teacher for 2 yrs in Fla., I remember how crazy excited the kids got! I even said to my husband this same thing yesterday.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is Halloween stressful for teachers?

@ValuSkr, Oh, you have to go and experience that. There's nothing like seeing these holidays through the eyes of kids at school. It'll bring back some memories, and the teacher's can always use a hand on holiday events.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is Halloween stressful for teachers?

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Try spending the day with 20 - 30 elementary kids hyped up because of the holiday.  I double-dog dare you to try to get them to be quiet for more than 15 minutes.

@Mellie32, That's the best answer!!! "double-dog dare ya" right!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 I've mostly worked in low income schools, so I've never experienced that. I don't feel comfortable accepting gifts. I'd much rather have a homemade card or note.

I've posted before about an experience I had when my child was in first grade--a school near very affluent neighborhoods.  The room moms wanted each child to give at least $100 for the teacher's Christmas gifts.  Some moms emphasized they gave more because they figured some of those kids wouldn't be able to give at that level. This first grade teacher walked away with about $2000 of gift certificates including a spa package with hotel stay and restaurants.  When I think back, that was probably one of my least favorite teachers too.  Most teachers at that school are still given expensive presents for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and end-of-the-year farewell gifts.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I was a room mother for every one of my girls (3) for every year they were in elementary and some in middle school.  I volunteered all through high school years and ran several fund raisers..  I was often asked if it made me angry that it was always me (and a few of my friends I called on EVERY SINGLE TIME to help me).  I'd look at them and say, "No!  Not at all.  My daughters benefited from me being there."  I know there are parents who would love to be there more, but most of the time they couldn't give up one freaking day of summer at the beach or Christmas shopping to help out for a single day.  It was their loss and their child's loss.  

I really think (it will never happen) that every parent should have to help at school X number of days during the school year.  I remember the faces on these kid's faces when Mom or Dad was helping!  The child lit up like a Christmas tree.  Even the older children (once they got over, "Ugh! My mom (or) Dad's here".  They'd spend time next to their parent.

Teachers are our most valuable asset.  They spend more time during the week with the child than the parent does, yet we underpay them and don't give them the respect they deserve.

People talk about policemen and firemen, and they do deserve respect.  However, very few people could do (especially on a daily basis) what teachers do.  I know, I was there and saw it first hand.  After helping out in class, I'd have to go home and rest.  I could mow the lawn, vacuum the house and be less tired.

Try it sometime, you might enjoy it and your child definitely will enjoy seeing you in their own environment.  It does wonders for their self-esteem.

@Mellie32@ECBG Thanks to both of you!

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I was a room mother for every one of my girls (3) for every year they were in elementary and some in middle school.  I volunteered all through high school years and ran several fund raisers..  I was often asked if it made me angry that it was always me (and a few of my friends I called on EVERY SINGLE TIME to help me).  I'd look at them and say, "No!  Not at all.  My daughters benefited from me being there."  I know there are parents who would love to be there more, but most of the time they couldn't give up one freaking day of summer at the beach or Christmas shopping to help out for a single day.  It was their loss and their child's loss.  

I really think (it will never happen) that every parent should have to help at school X number of days during the school year.  I remember the faces on these kid's faces when Mom or Dad was helping!  The child lit up like a Christmas tree.  Even the older children (once they got over, "Ugh! My mom (or) Dad's here".  They'd spend time next to their parent.

Teachers are our most valuable asset.  They spend more time during the week with the child than the parent does, yet we underpay them and don't give them the respect they deserve.

People talk about policemen and firemen, and they do deserve respect.  However, very few people could do (especially on a daily basis) what teachers do.  I know, I was there and saw it first hand.  After helping out in class, I'd have to go home and rest.  I could mow the lawn, vacuum the house and be less tired.

Try it sometime, you might enjoy it and your child definitely will enjoy seeing you in their own environment.  It does wonders for their self-esteem.

@Mellie32@ECBG Thanks to both of you!

I thank you for your volunteering on behalf of the kiddos!

As a single mother for 22 years, who worked 2 jobs, I had NO time to volunteer since all my efforts were toward keeping body and soul together for myself and child. I am glad that I wasnt castigated b/c I couldnt volunteer. I know that there were others (single Moms and Dads) in the same boat as I was.

You are not alone and it's not just single moms and dads.  Many parents don't have the luxury of taking a day off to go on field trip or be Classroom Mom or Dad for the day.  Some sahms just don't understand that, they didn't in my time and they still don't.  I was fortunate, I had my Mom and for a while my MIL for back up but if not for that, there would have been school things I couldn't attend. That's just a fact.   I always found that there was nothing "noble" about the parents who went to everything in the schools and did everything and were on all the committees and had their own mugs in the teacher's lounge.  They just had the time for it.....and they didn't have jobs. 

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan  It sounds like that is a district that needs a gifting policy as things obviously are out of control.  I wonder what would happen if the news media got wind of that activity?  Even in an affluent area, there are bound to be many families that could not afford such generosity.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Kachina624 I've mostly worked in low income schools, so I've never experienced that. I don't feel comfortable accepting gifts. I'd much rather have a homemade card or note.

I've posted before about an experience I had when my child was in first grade--a school near very affluent neighborhoods.  The room moms wanted each child to give at least $100 for the teacher's Christmas gifts.  Some moms emphasized they gave more because they figured some of those kids wouldn't be able to give at that level. This first grade teacher walked away with about $2000 of gift certificates including a spa package with hotel stay and restaurants.  When I think back, that was probably one of my least favorite teachers too.  Most teachers at that school are still given expensive presents for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and end-of-the-year farewell gifts.

Where do I apply?

Respected Contributor

I found as a teacher that some of our more ardent parent volunteers did it so they could have more face time to advocate for their child with the teachers, but ESPECIALLY ADMINISTRATION!

Nothing noble about those folks at all. Self seeking is more like it-and the teachers all knew who they were and how to avoid them when possible.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32   Did you survive??  LOL

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh