Respected Contributor

Mellie --- the teacher who lived

Congrats to all of the teachers today who made it through Halloween with their students.  A big thanks for the 4 wonderful parents that were in my room helping today.  It was moderately stress-free and fun!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Mellie --- the teacher who lived

I was a room mother for every one of my girls (3) for every year they were in elementary and some in middle school.  I volunteered all through high school years and ran several fund raisers..  I was often asked if it made me angry that it was always me (and a few of my friends I called on EVERY SINGLE TIME to help me).  I'd look at them and say, "No!  Not at all.  My daughters benefited from me being there."  I know there are parents who would love to be there more, but most of the time they couldn't give up one freaking day of summer at the beach or Christmas shopping to help out for a single day.  It was their loss and their child's loss.  

I really think (it will never happen) that every parent should have to help at school X number of days during the school year.  I remember the faces on these kid's faces when Mom or Dad was helping!  The child lit up like a Christmas tree.  Even the older children (once they got over, "Ugh! My mom (or) Dad's here".  They'd spend time next to their parent.

Teachers are our most valuable asset.  They spend more time during the week with the child than the parent does, yet we underpay them and don't give them the respect they deserve.

People talk about policemen and firemen, and they do deserve respect.  However, very few people could do (especially on a daily basis) what teachers do.  I know, I was there and saw it first hand.  After helping out in class, I'd have to go home and rest.  I could mow the lawn, vacuum the house and be less tired.

Try it sometime, you might enjoy it and your child definitely will enjoy seeing you in their own environment.  It does wonders for their self-esteem.

@Mellie32 @ECBG Thanks to both of you!

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32@Annabellethecat66

I agree and hats off to teachers everywhere and I'm sure grateful hearts are to go to parents who are willing to help and participate!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

You definitely have to love being a teacher (at least most of the time) and love the kids, to be a good one.

Congratulations for a good Halloween school day!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Congrats to all of the teachers today who made it through Halloween with their students.  A big thanks for the 4 wonderful parents that were in my room helping today.  It was moderately stress-free and fun!

I am confused. Do they all post here or what?

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't know about ALL that....lol   Some mother's just like being in the classroom all the time for every party, event and school trip.  Nothing wrong with that but they are there because they want to be there, not because the have to be there.  My girls went to a parochial school and I believe most of the moms had careers and outside jobs.  We were required to "volunteer" for a specific number of classroom days and field trip days.  It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics.  But the classroom calendar came out in early October and we were told to choose the days and field trips we would commit to and we had to choose alternate days.  And then we got a confirmation letter.  I had my Mom then and if I couldn't fulfill a classroom commitment, she would fill in for me.  She loved it and the girls loved it.  I think teachers get the respect they are entitled too.  Everyone understands that the foundation for kids is set by our kid's teachers.  My girls are 31 and 33 and they still talk about their favorite teachers.   Whether or not a kid wants their parents in their "world" depends on the kid.  And on the parent.  Some like, some don't.  My girls loved having me or their Nana at school but my friend said that after the 1st or 2nd grade, her two boys hated it when she was classroom mom or chaparoned a field trip. 

Honored Contributor

Is Halloween stressful for teachers?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wondered about that...lol    It seems like they have one big Halloween party all day long now...lol   In some schools anyway.  But not in any schools I'm familiar with.  Both my sons in laws are teachers and I'll have to ask them if they party with the kids all day long on Halloween. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Try spending the day with 20 - 30 elementary kids hyped up because of the holiday.  I double-dog dare you to try to get them to be quiet for more than 15 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Glad the day went well.  Kids have extra energy on these sorts of days.  When I was room mom, I always needed an Advil after those parties.  Lol