Respected Contributor

Re: Melissa Rivers leaves ashes in stores and restaurants

@depglass wrote:

A bit irreverant, but how fitting for Joan.  Not too worried about the ash thing.

I agree.  I think it would have made Joan happy and I'll bet she asked Melissa to do it that way.

As Kachina said, it's nothing but sterile dust.  You breathe in worse things every day. It's not disgusting at all

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Well, unless these stores and restaurants are very dirty they would have just probably gotten swept up at the end of the day and are now at the dump. And sending ashes to all their friends - eeeww. Melissa Rivers is one strange individual IMO.

Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

A bit irreverant, but how fitting for Joan.  Not too worried about the ash thing.

ITA.  unsure why people are grossed out.  It's ashes, not blood or body parts.  It has been incenerated so much that ashes are about sterile.  There are much worse things being tracked in on people's shoes to restaurants and stores, I assure you. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I guess with my weekly sojourns to Micky D's I don't have too much to worry about. 

Esteemed Contributor

As I said, if the ashes were in SEALED viles, there would be NO dust "flying aound" to land in food, or to be swept up.

Also, she probably ASKED her friends BEFORE sending them her mother's remains.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like something Joan would like to me....
Honored Contributor

OMG.... I think this is hilarious~!!  Every time I go into Nieman's and see a dark powdery looking ashy stuff on the floor I'm going to think of Joan!!!

And yes, I'm a bit irreverant....  I used to go to lunch with my Mom and her group of friends once a week for years......  My Mom and I were extremely close, I'm an only child.

For some reason the topic came around (again) to death and dying and what on earth am I going to do when my Mother died since we are SO close.....  I don't know what prompted me (other than being sick of the subject) but I replied that I was planning to have her stuffed and put on wheels with a rope so I would be able to continue to take her everywhere I went..... 

My dear Mother nearly slid under the table she was laughing so hard.... some of the other ladies laughed but mostly I got gasps and clucks....  My Mom shared this story everywhere she went for years!

And no.... didn't happen, it was a joke!!

And at least while I was around, the talk of death and dying let up for awhile.... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Guess there's nothing like kicking ash around the world.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to deposit ashes of a loved one in a store and in a restaurant. 

She scattered her mother's ashes to all parts of the world including inside stores and restaurants.  One cannot dispose of the deceased in this manner. 

Nearly two years have passed since Joan Rivers' death, her daughter Melissa has revealed she's shipped her mother's ashes to friends all over the world.

"She's in England and Scotland and Mexico and Wyoming and California, and stores and restaurants and studios. She is places nobody would expect her to be," Melissa told Matt Lauer Thursday on Today. "I think she'd be happy that what I still have is in my closet near my shoes."

The Fashion Police host also addressed the lawsuit she settled with the clinic where Joan stopped breathing during throat surgery in August 2014. She died a week later in a New York hospital.

I got something in my eye the other day.  I think it was Joan.

Yeah, I'm not sure the idea of scattering in a restaurant is a good idea.  It could end up blowing into someone's salad or swept up and into the garbage.

@fortune...I busted out laughing, good one!  I think the old girl's loving it as well...probably using it in her routine wherever she may be🎭

Honored Contributor

I liked Joan. If that's what she wanted it's ok by me. We are all keeping a few of the ashes of Mom and Dad. I have them right now and this summer the family will be putting them in the ocean in front of the house where we grew up. They lived there for fifty years.