Esteemed Contributor

Re: Melissa Rivers Settles Lawsuit Over Joan's Death

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

Well at least Melissa can move on and live her life. I do hope this doctor will be punished by the licensing board of NYS and hopefully lose their license.

@BabyYoda- Joan's doctor. Lawrence Cohen was the medical director of the surgical facility and he invited Gwen Korovin to do the unauthorized (per reports) surgery, tho she had no privileges there.  Both of these people have a celebrity clientele, particularly Korovin.   Cohen was fired by the surgical facility.  He was a professor at the medical school as well.  I think Korovin is still practicing and am unsure of his status.  

Thanks for the information @Stray about her doctor. It's a shame that this Dr. Korovin is still practicing. Glad the other doctor was fired but it still doesn't answer my question about the NYS investigation. I will have to do some searching if it is an ongoing investigation or if they will lose their license.

@BabyYoda- I can't find anything about sanctions in NYS, maybe it will appear as the case was just settled...

Super Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

Well at least Melissa can move on and live her life. I do hope this doctor will be punished by the licensing board of NYS and hopefully lose their license.

@BabyYoda- Joan's doctor. Lawrence Cohen was the medical director of the surgical facility and he invited Gwen Korovin to do the unauthorized (per reports) surgery, tho she had no privileges there.  Both of these people have a celebrity clientele, particularly Korovin.   Cohen was fired by the surgical facility.  He was a professor at the medical school as well.  I think Korovin is still practicing and am unsure of his status.  

Thanks for the information @Stray about her doctor. It's a shame that this Dr. Korovin is still practicing. Glad the other doctor was fired but it still doesn't answer my question about the NYS investigation. I will have to do some searching if it is an ongoing investigation or if they will lose their license.

@BabyYoda- I can't find anything about sanctions in NYS, maybe it will appear as the case was just settled...

I'd love to know @Stray. Thanks for the info you posted.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I read the settlement was "eight figures."

@YorkieonmyPillow  Since the terms of the settlement were confidential, I'm curious where you read that.  Source please? 

Esteemed Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

@BabyYodahttp://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20981907_21006403,00.html

but it is still early....since the lawsuit was malpractice and just settled, the licenses may not have been pulled as yet and the process would not have been started until the trial is over or a settlement reached.  The NYS Health Dept. Database is undergoing maintenance and not available today.  I am sure there will be some sanction. 

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@BabyYodahttp://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20981907_21006403,00.html

but it is still early....since the lawsuit was malpractice and just settled, the licenses may not have been pulled as yet and the process would not have been started until the trial is over or a settlement reached.  The NYS Health Dept. Database is undergoing maintenance and not available today.  I am sure there will be some sanction. 

Thanks so much for posting that link @Stray it explains it and glad People magazine is looking into it. I hope to find out more if there is a state investigation.