Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

That thing about the curtesy,didn't we fight a war about that?

@Group 5 minus 1

No one outside the UK should ever be expected to curtsey .... if Brits want to do so, fine, but there is no reason any foreigner should even want to curtsey!   They have no authority with the running of the government and they are primarily a tourist attraction.    I don't think even a salute would  ever be justified.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

No one outside the UK should ever be expected to curtsey .... if Brits want to do so, fine, but there is no reason any foreigner should even want to curtsey!  They have no authority with the running of the government and they are primarily a tourist attraction.    I don't think even a salute would  ever be justified.

LOL   Too funny !

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

No one outside the UK should ever be expected to curtsey .... if Brits want to do so, fine, but there is no reason any foreigner should even want to curtsey!  They have no authority with the running of the government and they are primarily a tourist attraction.    I don't think even a salute would  ever be justified.

LOL   Too funny !

@Daisy Sunflower

People on this board say this fairly frequently .... they are supposed to be very important for "tourism" and make a difference.   The palaces would be even better tourist attractions if they were empty and the monarchy was abolished.

Of course, since there's never been a non-royal UK, there's nothing to accurately compare it to, but they insist anyway.  Go figure.    

Honored Contributor

Anyone who believes the Revolutionary War had anything to do with a simple show of respect as in a curtsy must have skipped their American History class.

No wonder Americans are seen as ill mannered, many are.

Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm.  I don't know that I would feel compelled to curtsy if I met the Queen.  I would certainly be polite and respectful, but a curtsy to me shows that she has some sort of power over me, which she does not.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have much respect for most actors, so I think he could have done better, not that anyone cares what I think!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Hmmm.  I don't know that I would feel compelled to curtsy if I met the Queen.  I would certainly be polite and respectful, but a curtsy to me shows that she has some sort of power over me, which she does not.

I love the royals, but I wouldn't curtsey either.  A polite handshake will do.

Honored Contributor

You don't touch the Queen unless she offers her hand to you first. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

You don't touch the Queen unless she offers her hand to you first. 

@occasionalrain

I doubt most people would even want to touch the queen .... or curtsey.

Honored Contributor

Many people are very fond of the Queen, including me, and yes, I would curtsy, if I ever was in a position when I should....it's  a polite gesture