Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,168
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KingstonsMom I understood your point and the queen can, of course, do whatever she wishes, I was simply making the point that William's children are heirs to the throne while Harry's are not and that given that fact, there is no real reason for her to designate them HRH... Her own daughter's children carry no royal titles nor were they given peerages. In due course, when William becomes Prince of Wales (and then King), I believe his own children would become HRH anyway... Likewise, once there is a transition from Elizabeth to Charles (or William...) it's also entirely possible that the title's of Harry's children would shift whether Elizabeth decides to confer any special title on them now or not. It's not my call, but were it, I'd let the next generation take care of itself. Taking sentiment out of it... I think it's appropriate that the children of the heirs apparent (Charles and William) be accorded the titles, but don't think I'd personally extend it to Harry's children. 


If I remember correctly Princess Anne and her husband did not want their children to have titles and requested the Queen not to give them titles. 


I believe that's true, which also points to the fact that the titles are not a 'given'... I'd be shocked if the Sussex's were to make the same choice as did Anne. Assuming the offer is made, I'd suspect they wouldn't decline it... The entire royal nomenclature is a qwap shoot... For example, a man marrying into the royal family can expect nothing (take Eugenie's husband for example) but a woman marrying into the royal family can become a titled peer and a princess... It seems the only rule that changed is around who can become the monarch, which used to anoint male heirs. There is now no rule that the eldest son wins the prize if there is an older daughter... Had Charlotte been born first, she would stand to become queen.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,555
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring


@stevieb wrote:

@KingstonsMom I understood your point and the queen can, of course, do whatever she wishes, I was simply making the point that William's children are heirs to the throne while Harry's are not and that given that fact, there is no real reason for her to designate them HRH... Her own daughter's children carry no royal titles nor were they given peerages. In due course, when William becomes Prince of Wales (and then King), I believe his own children would become HRH anyway... Likewise, once there is a transition from Elizabeth to Charles (or William...) it's also entirely possible that the title's of Harry's children would shift whether Elizabeth decides to confer any special title on them now or not. It's not my call, but were it, I'd let the next generation take care of itself. Taking sentiment out of it... I think it's appropriate that the children of the heirs apparent (Charles and William) be accorded the titles, but don't think I'd personally extend it to Harry's children. 


@stevieb

 

Anne's husband refused an earldom offered to him by the Queen, which prevented their children from having royal titles.

 

Anne first met her future husband Mark Phillips at a party for horse lovers in 1968.[13] Their engagement was announced on 29 May 1973.[14][15] On 14 November 1973 (the twenty-fifth birthday of her brother, Prince Charles), Princess Anne married Mark Phillips, a lieutenant in the 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards, at Westminster Abbey in a ceremony that was televised around the world, with an estimated audience of 100 million.[16] Following the wedding, Anne and her husband lived at Gatcombe Park. He was made acting captain by the start of 1974 when he was appointed a personal aide-de-camp to Queen Elizabeth II. As was customary for untitled men marrying into the royal family, Phillips was offered an earldom. He declined this offer leading to their children being born without courtesy titles.[17] The couple would have two children, Peter (born 1977) and Zara Phillips (born 1981).[18]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne,_Princess_Royal

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,168
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring


@KingstonsMom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KingstonsMom I understood your point and the queen can, of course, do whatever she wishes, I was simply making the point that William's children are heirs to the throne while Harry's are not and that given that fact, there is no real reason for her to designate them HRH... Her own daughter's children carry no royal titles nor were they given peerages. In due course, when William becomes Prince of Wales (and then King), I believe his own children would become HRH anyway... Likewise, once there is a transition from Elizabeth to Charles (or William...) it's also entirely possible that the title's of Harry's children would shift whether Elizabeth decides to confer any special title on them now or not. It's not my call, but were it, I'd let the next generation take care of itself. Taking sentiment out of it... I think it's appropriate that the children of the heirs apparent (Charles and William) be accorded the titles, but don't think I'd personally extend it to Harry's children. 


@stevieb

 

Anne's husband refused an earldom offered to him by the Queen, which prevented their children from having royal titles.

 

Anne first met her future husband Mark Phillips at a party for horse lovers in 1968.[13] Their engagement was announced on 29 May 1973.[14][15] On 14 November 1973 (the twenty-fifth birthday of her brother, Prince Charles), Princess Anne married Mark Phillips, a lieutenant in the 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards, at Westminster Abbey in a ceremony that was televised around the world, with an estimated audience of 100 million.[16] Following the wedding, Anne and her husband lived at Gatcombe Park. He was made acting captain by the start of 1974 when he was appointed a personal aide-de-camp to Queen Elizabeth II. As was customary for untitled men marrying into the royal family, Phillips was offered an earldom. He declined this offer leading to their children being born without courtesy titles.[17] The couple would have two children, Peter (born 1977) and Zara Phillips (born 1981).[18]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne,_Princess_Royal


@KingstonsMom Yes, I'm aware of all that... but in the same way the queen can 'create' peerages, she was not limited by Anne's ex-husband's choice for her grandchildren. I'll be curious to see if any offer is made of a peerage to Eugenie's new husband... The point being she can pretty much do what she wants when she wants, within reason, with the titles and peerages... I don't want to belabor the point and there's no argument that she can, my perspective is that she isn't bound to confer any special title on Harry's children... 


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,168
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring


@HLP wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am so excited for them, and I am sure they will have  gorgeous children.......


Are we going to hear about this till it;s born? Why all the interest? I just don't know why anyone would get so excited. I have so many things to be happy for, so just can't spare the time on people I know nothing about. This is like getting into the lives of people on tv and the movies. Good luck to them, but my neighbors pregnant, I do know her. 


@HLP... Yes, I'm afraid the nine month, give or take, period of gushing has begun...

 

Smiley Wink


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,555
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

@stevieb

 

Gee, I didn't think we were "belaboring the point", just having what I thought was a friendly conversation......sorry I was wrong. 

 

peaceout.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,524
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

@stevieb. I don't personally think that being happy or excited for someone is necessarily gushing! 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,168
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@stevieb

 

Gee, I didn't think we were "belaboring the point", just having what I thought was a friendly conversation......sorry I was wrong. 

 

peaceout.jpg


@KingstonsMom I'm truly sorry you took it that way, it wasn't my intent... It seemed we were saying the same thing.... That the queen can... I just didn't think we needed to keep on saying it, that's all...

 

Smiley Wink


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,168
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring


@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@stevieb. I don't personally think that being happy or excited for someone is necessarily gushing! 


@CANDLEQUEEN They're not necessarily the same thing at all, but reading some of the comments here, well, they're pretty much gushing... No harm, no foul...

 

Woman Wink

 

 


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,524
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring


@stevieb wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@stevieb. I don't personally think that being happy or excited for someone is necessarily gushing! 


@CANDLEQUEEN They're not necessarily the same thing at all, but reading some of the comments here, well, they're pretty much gushing... No harm, no foul...

 

Woman Wink

 

 


@stevieb. OK. No problem! Man Happy

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,940
Registered: ‎03-30-2010

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

All babies are wonderful, but I do not understand the excitement over a couple none of us will ever know nor will we see the baby in person.  My neighbors are expecting; their baby is much more exciting to me since I will actually meet him or her.