Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan and Harry expecting first child in the Spring

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I have read that unless the Queen intervenes, this child will not be a(n) HRH.  A boy would take one of Harry's lesser titles (Earl, I believe) and a girl would be Lady_________ Mountbatten-Windsor.

Again, it's what I read; I don't know it to be true.  Apparently George V made the rule in order to limit the number of royals.

Adding:  I actually understand setting a rule about this, but I don't see anything wrong with letting Harry's children have the HRH since Charles (as the future king) only has the two boys.  

@faeriemoon

The Queen made exception to this George V order, so that Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis could have royal titles when they weren't due to have royal titles, according to George V's order.

I'm betting that she does the same for Harry & Meghan's child.

With all the wedding festivities and looking back at the the history ect.... I read last week that Prince Edward after Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth's death he will take over the title of Duke of Edinburgh and his children will move up in rank with their titles.  Prince Edward as already been doing a lot of Prince Philip's duties with his retirement.  Cannot blame the Queen for wanting it to occur after her own passing as well.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I have read that unless the Queen intervenes, this child will not be a(n) HRH.  A boy would take one of Harry's lesser titles (Earl, I believe) and a girl would be Lady_________ Mountbatten-Windsor.

Again, it's what I read; I don't know it to be true.  Apparently George V made the rule in order to limit the number of royals.

Adding:  I actually understand setting a rule about this, but I don't see anything wrong with letting Harry's children have the HRH since Charles (as the future king) only has the two boys.  

@faeriemoon

The Queen made exception to this George V order, so that Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis could have royal titles when they weren't due to have royal titles, according to George V's order.

Of course, the difference is that William's children are in direct line to the throne. Harry's are not. George, at some point, will become the Prince of Wales and is the future king.  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Many of the Instagram comments are criticizing the timing of this announcement, stating it's too soon after Eugenie's wedding, and that it's the wedding that should be talked about for a while.  However, IMO, there was so much speculation after seeing Meghan at the wedding they had no choice but to address the issue.

Personally, since the wedding weekend was over and done the timing of the announcement was fine.

Just makes me think of the old line,

"We can walk and chew gum at the same time"

P.S.  Lovely news for Meghan and Harry.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Many of the Instagram comments are criticizing the timing of this announcement, stating it's too soon after Eugenie's wedding, and that it's the wedding that should be talked about for a while.  However, IMO, there was so much speculation after seeing Meghan at the wedding they had no choice but to address the issue.

Personally, since the wedding weekend was over and done the timing of the announcement was fine.

It is being reported now that they told everyone at the wedding.  Sorry but I find that just tacky, royal or not.  They will be out of the country for a couple weeks, they could have very easily waited on the announcement.  Allowing the bride and groom their special time.

I have been able to guess every pregnancy of my family/friends based on the mother-to-be not indulging in a glass of champagne, or wine or a cocktail at a social gathering. 

I would hope Jack and Eugenie have big enough hearts so they would not feel upstaged by Harry and Meghan's happy news. 

Yes, Eugenie doesn't look like the "it's all about me" type who would stomp and whine about the baby news interfering with her wedding.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

It is being reported now that they told everyone at the wedding.  Sorry but I find that just tacky, royal or not.  They will be out of the country for a couple weeks, they could have very easily waited on the announcement.  Allowing the bride and groom their special time.

Where is it being reported that they told everyone at the wedding?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Where is it being reported that they told everyone at the wedding?

Congratulations to the happy couple.  

@CrazyDaisy This past July while I was attending my nephews ( brother's son) wedding reception, my niece ( sister's daughter)  told me that she was expecting.  In fact, she told everyone at the table we were sitting at...all family.

Her little announcement did not take anything away from the bride and groom's special day.

To even suggest that quietly telling a few people would steal the thunder of the bridal couple is silly.  Where do people come up with this stupid stuff?  What kind of people would get upset over this?  

A happy event and good news is to be be shared with family and a family get-together is a good time to share.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish her a healthy preganacy, a healthy baby, and happiness for the family happiness for the three of them.

Honored Contributor

They also have a black Labrador puppy so raising them together will be delightful.  8)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First, a few observations/speculations. I see the timing of Meghan’s pregnancy as a melding together of life circumstances. I’m sure Harry and Meghan waited until after Princess Eugenie’s wedding to make the public announcement out of respect for their wedding day.

Two days later, they were to begin their overseas tour. Judging by the coat Meghan wore and how she had it buttoned at the wedding, she may be starting to show, as she is now most likely in her second trimester. 

If that’s the case, a public announcement would have to be made soon, as Meghan would be in the public spotlight for the next 16 days, and that’s a long time to camouflage a growing baby bump. I would think it is better to make the announcement before the tour is underway. If she tours with what appears to be a potential baby bump, that is going to drive the press into a speculative frenzy and dominate the news for the entirety of the tour. That would enevitably take the focus off the purpose of the tour and their good works, especially the Invictus Games. I can’t imagine either of them would want that. Better to break the news now and get it out of the way. 

I’m sure Meghan and Harry wanted to announce the happy news to their family privately before it’s released publicly. With time running out before the tour and the public announcement forthcoming, it seems like the wedding reception would be the best time to do it. I can’t imagine they didn’t clear it with Eugenie and Jack first and most certainly with the queen. I also would imagine that the timing of the announcement has been considered and decisions made through the proper channels from the queen at Buckingham Palace and Harry and Meghan at  Kensington Palace. “The Firm” leaves no stone unturned and nothing to chance.  Again, this is purely my observations/speculations. 

Lastly, I’m just over the moon at this wonderful news. It’s so endearing to see Harry’s personal life so happy and complete. I wish Harry, Meghan and their future family a lifetime of happiness. 💞💞💞

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon

Of course, the difference is that William's children are in direct line to the throne. Harry's are not. George, at some point, will become the Prince of Wales and is the future king.  

@stevieb

.My point is that Charlotte and Louis were NOT entitled to royal titles until the Queen made an exception to George V's order, which would have excluded them from royal titles.

I would think she would do the same for Harry & Meghan's child.

"'Kensington Palace announced today the Duchess of Sussex is pregnant with her first child. The baby is expected in Spring next year. 

The happy news was announced hours after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex touched down in Sydney for their first major international tour since their wedding in May.

A Kensington Palace said: 'Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019.

'Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public.'

The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were told in person at the wedding of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank at Windsor Castle last Friday.  

Rumours were rife that Meghan may be pregnant after her mother Doria Ragland was seen taking baby-care classes in Pasadena with a view to looking after her new grandchild. 

The duchess has also been seen in a number of looser-fitting outfits over recent weeks.  

The new royal baby is expected to take the surname Sussex in the same way that

Prince William's children, George, Charlotte and Louis have taken his title Cambridge as their last name at school and nursery. 

The baby will supersede Prince Andrew in the line of succession, regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl, following a 2011 change in law that granted the same status to sons and daughters.

However as the second son of the current Prince of Wales, Harry's children are not automatically given the title of prince or princess.

King George V - Harry's great great grandfather - limited titles within the royal family in 1917.

This means Harry and Meghan's first born, as a great-grandchild of the sovereign, is too far down the line of succession to be an HRH.

George V declared that: 'the grandchildren of the sons of any such Sovereign in the direct male line (save only the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales) shall have and enjoy in all occasions the style and title enjoyed by the children of Dukes of these Our Realms.'

The eldest son and heir apparent of a duke can use one of his father's lesser grade peerage titles by courtesy, according to Debrett's.

So a first son of Harry's would become Earl of Dumbarton - one of the subsidiary titles Harry received from the Queen on the morning of his wedding. 

A daughter would be Lady (first name) Mountbatten-Windsor, and any subsequent sons Lord (first name) Mounbatten-Windsor.

But the Queen could make changes to allow Harry and Meghan's children to be HRHs and princes and princesses.

Ahead of Prince George's birth, the monarch issued a Letters Patent to ensure the Cambridge children had fitting titles.

Without this Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis would have been a Lady and a Lord instead, but Prince George, as the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, would still have been a prince.

The Queen could decide to do the same for Harry and Meghan's baby.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6276715/Harry-Meghan-announce-expecting-child-together.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.