Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Meghan Threatens to Sue Canadian Paps

What right to privacy can you have walking in public?  

Honored Contributor

I hope once this all dies down, they'll be able to live with some level of privacy and peace.

Honored Contributor

I don't about Canadian law but if she was in place, like a park or shared pathway where there was no exception of privacy then she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.  However, if she was walking on private property, or if the photographer was on that private property or had to use telephonic lense to get the picture,  she likely has a case.  Although I think this is really a firm warning to the paparazzi.  This is what you can do,  this is what you can't do.  This is similar to the time that William and Kate were on vacation and she was sunbathing on a balcony and the photographer took picture.  There was a lawsuit.   

Respected Contributor

Why are you all taking a TMZ blurb as truth? How do we know any letter was sent?
Trusted Contributor

Sadly, not only the media, but, sometimes, the public, in general, seem to feel, that if someone, is in the public eye, has celebrity status, they've chosen that, and, they're fair game. 

I remember watching Paul Newman being interviewed. He said he stopped giving autographs, after being approached, in a hotel bathroom, at the urinal, for an autograph! 

Someone having chosen a career, in the public eye, doesn't mean they aren't entirled to privacy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suspect her PR team staged the whole walk in the park. Notice, threatened to file not filed. Looks like yet another quest for publicity. Why haven't there been more pictures of Meghan from her extended stay in Canada. I've only seen one showing her leaving for her fun weekend with friends.

Honored Contributor

Nobody in a public space has any privacy...the fact is that those of us ordinary humans aren’t usually worth photographing.I think people have been capturing photos for a long time of ordinary people doing crazy stuff and posting itonline...such as the people of Walmart shots.

Trusted Contributor

That Meghan is a real piece of work.

Esteemed Contributor

I still think the situation is sad for all.  Harry leaves the family that loves him; Archie will not have the proximity to his extended family and the Royals will miss their Harry.  I hope that this decision will be a positive one for Harry and his family.

There is no way Harry's family will have a private, non public, Canadian new life!!  And I am not so sure that Meghan is not really looking for popularity and stardom. She will have way more paparazzi problems to deal with in Canada. 
       I also still think that the instagram 'announcment' was an inappropriate, disrespectful way to disengage.  Maybe if the Queen had made the announcement.....

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain 

It's obvious, that walk with Archie and the dogs and the body guards was staged to trap a photographer into doing exactly what one did.  Planned so that their security team could set the rules and get the "warning" out.  They aren't naive, they know they can't escape the paparazzi unless they go withdraw from public life totally.  They just want to set some ground rules.