Honored Contributor

Meghan Threatens to Sue Canadian Paps

Meghan Markle's already fuming mad over one aspect of her new life in Canada -- she's ready to sue over paparazzi shots of her and Archie hiking.

Lawyers for Prince Harry and Meghan fired off a cease and desist letter Tuesday to British media outlets saying legal action will be taken if they publish or purchase the pics of Meghan, Archie and 2 pups out for a walk on Vancouver Island.

The letter implies there's definitely going to be a lawsuit coming because the photos are already out there. Multiple outlets posted the pics in question on Monday ... and they're still up today.

The cease and desist letter says, "There are serious safety concerns about how the paparazzi are driving and the risk to life they pose" -- a clear reference to Princess Diana's tragic death in Paris.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex say the photog who got the shots was hiding in bushes and spying on Meghan. They also say photographers have set up camp, armed with telephoto lenses, outside their home on Vancouver Island.

Harry and Meghan have taken their privacy very seriously from the start of their relationshp, and even sued a UK tabloid last year for alleged misuse of private information. In England, strict privacy laws protect even the Royals from being photographed in public when they're not making official appearances.

However, they're in Canada now, so there are new rules.

We did some digging, and even under Canadian law -- which is not nearly as strict as the U.K. -- snapping pics with a telephoto lens where Meghan could have an expectation of privacy could be a basis for suing.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/21/meghan-markle-cease-desist-letter-photos-archie-canada-paparazzi-lega...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Threatens to Sue Canadian Paps

I never for a minute thought that they'd have the peace they're hoping for. I'm sorry for them, and for any other celebrity who cannot easily adopt a private lifestyle without being hounded by photogs.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Might as well stayed in the UK.

Esteemed Contributor

Guess we know now how they intend to make a living.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If what the media is doing is in true violation of specific safety laws, I think they should do whatever they can to protect their family. Harry knows all too well just how relentless the media can be, without regard to the safety of their target. There are certain lines that just should not be crossed. The media has plenty of opportunities to film them, that is not in violation, as evidenced by multiple daily photographs made available to the public on most media outlets, news channels, etc...I would go to any lengths to protect the safety of my family, and they have every right to at least try. The fascination with them is not going away any time soon, but their safety should be respected.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

They can’t rxpect privacy in public...they will have to stay home if they don’t eant any photos.

Honored Contributor

They'll soon be persona non grata in Canada.  If they expect to sell themselves commercially in some capacity, they better not kill interest in themselves.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We dont know if theybe sent a cease and desist letter. The TMZ article has no source. It could be made up for all we know.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Guess we know now how they intend to make a living.

My thought exactly!  LOL!  No sympathy here.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's just a sad situation all around. I fear that Prince Harry will never find the peace and privacy he seeks for his family from the press and papparazzi, certainly not now. Once Princess Diana was no longer an official member of "The Firm" the media interest just intensified and spun out of control. At least within the official royal family structure, there is a certain layer of "insulation" and control from that insanity. Now, they will just be stalked relentlessly 24/7 like celebrities, the way Diana was in her last years. 

What puzzles me though, is if Meghan was being stalked against her will by paparazzi hiding in the bushes, why was she looking directly at their cameras and flashing a red carpet worthy Hollywood smile?  She didn't appear to be alarmed, upset or angry that she was being followed. Something doesn't add up. 🤔