Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle To Become UK Citizen

@Pearlee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

An American black woman is about to become part of the Royal family. I say that's pretty exciting.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee  I'm a little surprised you say that  since you describe yourself elsewhere on this thread  (accurately) as bi-racial.  She's as much white as she is black.  Just like Pres. Obama who is biracial.

I think it really doesn't matter what race she is. But I think the fact that the Black part of the story is now a part of the Royal story again. Queen Charlotte was the first. @Pearlee

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

How nice they sped that up for her highness.  I was married to a British man and I couldn’t become a dual citizen for years.  This is the kind of thing that makes British people mad.  Trust me.  They aren’t fond of Americans nor are they fond of actresses with airs.  I predict hard times ahead for Meg. 

The true issue is that she’s American; the actress part is just icing on the cake. Those who want to, really see her as an American with airs and the actress bit is far less important.  There is a segment of the British population that is very anti-American, period, all Americans, and it crosses all education and economic levels. The feeling has been there since the colonies. The good news is, it’s not most British people.

I think what is going to irritate a lot of Brits is she is no shrinking violet. In fact I think she is more intellectual than Harry...not just smarter but more articulate as well. In that interview she had no problem speaking up and it was great to see her do that because you had to know she's not had enough time to be very rehearsed.  She's not intimidated by the press or by the paparazzi.  Her lack of fear will put the Brits on notice that Harry has not just married his equal but someone who is superior to him. 

Honored Contributor

I feel sure Harry can handle whatever comes his way.  He spent 10 years in the military, did two tours and was in active combat.  He was the one who got Invictus together and he does a lot of public speaking and humanitarian work in other countries.

I see them as equals and that’s part of the attraction, they are able to respect each other.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I feel sure Harry can handle whatever comes his way.  He spent 10 years in the military, did two tours and was in active combat.  He was the one who got Invictus together and he does a lot of public speaking and humanitarian work in other countries.

I see them as equals and that’s part of the attraction, they are able to respect each other.

I think Meghan is brighter than he is also, although I agree Harry has accomplished a lot and was raised dealing with things.  I will say that although I like them both, neither he nor William, when I hear them speak, has ever struck me as candidates for MENSA membership.  And in fact, I read a quote recently, I think it was from Tina Brown, that said when she met Diana she couldn't believe how "dim" (her word") the woman was.  When I read that not too long ago, it didn't really surprise me, given what I've heard from William and Harry when they speak.  Harry doesn't sound super articulate to me.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7 That is exactly how I see their relationship.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all