Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle To Become UK Citizen

[ Edited ]

I'm bi-racial. I am Japanese-Caucasian. When my Japanese mother married my white father and brought her here to the states, Pearl Harbor was still an issue here. My dad's family was not so welcoming to my Japanese mother. She never, ever got over that unwelcome feeling, even after living here for over 50 years. Racial tension is something I know well. I truly wish the best for Meghan. I think she will be fine. She seems like a very strong, understanding person and has the ability to rise above the nonsense.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm bi-racial. I am Japanese-Caucasian. When my Japanese mother married my white father and brought her here to the states, Pearl Harbor was still an issue here. My dad's family was not so welcoming to my Japanese mother. She never, ever got over that unwelcome feeling, even after living here for over 50 years. Racial tension is something I know well. I truly wish the best for Meghan. I think she will be fine. She seems like a very strong, understanding person and has the ability to rise above the nonsense.Woman Happy

Yes, I know you are @SilleeMee

I lean toward accepting what someone wants to be known as and MMarkle has said she refers to herself as bi-racial.   That's all it was about.

I am also aware of the treatment of Japanese-Americans at the time of WW2 and after.  They were treated terribly, one of the camps was not far from where we live, and a friend of the family was born in one of the camps.  Many in SF lost their homes and small businesses.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fordtruck wrote:

I hope that the UK rag mags stop with their incessant talk about Meghan's ethnicity. She had said in their interview that it was disheartening. Fasten your seat belts, it will unfortunately continue. This apparently is something widely under discussion there and disheartening doesn't even begin to accurately describe the climate.  I'm sure Harry is incensed.  

I know many people in the UK and the press  was quite TERRIBLE  with the negative comments about her race. In the beginning and really the press is toning it down but they are still many nasty comments.  Many do not like that her mother is african american and they are making NO BONES about it.  But here in the US the same negative comments were said NOT that long ago "wink wink".

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

An American black woman is about to become part of the Royal family. I say that's pretty exciting.Woman Happy

Yes! But I pray that her life isn't made miserable by the constant reminders of those in the UK who say no it shouldn't happen@SilleeMee

I am pretty sure she signed up for all of the whoopla that will surround her.  If she didn't, she will learn real soon.

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

I hope that the UK rag mags stop with their incessant talk about Meghan's ethnicity. She had said in their interview that it was disheartening. Fasten your seat belts, it will unfortunately continue. This apparently is something widely under discussion there and disheartening doesn't even begin to accurately describe the climate.  I'm sure Harry is incensed.  

I know many people in the UK and the press  was quite TERRIBLE  with the negative comments about her race. In the beginning and really the press is toning it down but they are still many nasty comments.  Many do not like that her mother is african american and they are making NO BONES about it.  But here in the US the same negative comments were said that long ago "wink wink".

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

I don't know if it is MANY in the UK.  They have bigots just like we do, but apparently the majority of people there aren't bothered at all.  The UK has become a pretty diverse group of people.

Honored Contributor

A close friend of mine is bi-racial Black and Caucasian. She has a very fair skin tone yet she considers her self Black. It's what she wants. She said one time to me: 'It's all about the Rainbow'.Woman Happy @Noel7

Honored Contributor

I think the UK is far more racially tolerant and diverse, than the US

I read the Brit papers often ,and didn't even 1 time ,read anything  about Meghan ,that could be considered  racially insensitive

She was scruntinized ,just like all of Harry's girl friends were. But not because of her race. If you become part of the firm, you are going to get  the third degree, no matter who you are ,or what you do. It just comes with the territory

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A close friend of mine is bi-racial Black and Caucasian. She has a very fair skin tone yet she considers her self Black. It's what she wants. She said one time to me: 'It's all about the Rainbow'.Woman Happy @Noel7

@SilleeMee

I think that's pretty common and I would accept how your friend identifies herself.

We recently sent in samples for genetic heritage.  I hope something interesting comes of it.  Prior to that, I recently found out my great grandmother was French, born and raised.  That was mildly exciting since all I know is Celtic.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

I know many people in the UK and the press  was quite TERRIBLE  with the negative comments about her race. In the beginning and really the press is toning it down but they are still many nasty comments.  Many do not like that her mother is african american and they are making NO BONES about it.  But here in the US the same negative comments were said that long ago "wink wink".

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

I don't know if it is MANY in the UK.  They have bigots just like we do, but apparently the majority of people there aren't bothered at all.  The UK has become a pretty diverse group of people.

There is always a cadre of bigots wherever you go in the world. The media rags, whatever the country, pander to those who believe whatever the most outrageous, way out there view of anything is; it sells, in the UK and obviously in the US.

So, the UK rags print what may not be so readily printed in the US, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a group ready, willing and happy to join in “silently” in the US. It may not be in our national media, but it’s here. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

There is always a cadre of bigots wherever you go in the world. The media rags, whatever the country, pander to those who believe whatever the most outrageous, way out there view of anything is; it sells, in the UK and obviously in the US.

So, the UK rags print what may not be so readily printed in the US, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a group ready, willing and happy to join in “silently” in the US. It may not be in our national media, but it’s here. 

Oh, I know it's there @Moonchilde , I think most of us have seen it all too often.  Unfortunately.