Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle To Become UK Citizen

I sure hope she doesn't give up her U.S. citizenship. What could it hurt to have dual citizenship.  I can see where becoming a U.K. citizen is a great idea, but not giving up her U.S. as well.

Honored Contributor

How far the monarchy has come ,just think she is divorced,and of mixed race  ,i think it is just great.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I had never heard of MM before - I don't watch the show she was on - so when they got together I wondered what he saw in her, as she is older, divorced, and an American....and therefore probably not familiar with the Royal Family and all the folderal...but after watching their interview, I think he made the best possible choice he could have.

She has a great personality, she's outgoing and very articulate. They share the same passions and she has given speeches so she will not be intimidated by her role - she is used to being in the public eye and knows how to handle the scrutiny. She said she didn't read all the comments about her and Harry, she just enjoyed being together.

They are obviously VERY much in love and seem to have fun together. I think they will make a great team.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Meghan is a descendant of King John and is actually distantly related to Harry through Queen Elizabeth's ancestry.

I think it is great she will become a UK citizen, especially considering her ancestry.

On her mother's side or her father's side?   I think Meghan would burst out laughing at that foolishness.  She's an American middle class girl from a not so nice section of LA who worked hard to make something of herself and never forgot where she came from.  

@chrystaltree  I never said she wasn't American; I said her ancestry includes British royalty.

She wouldn't be the first to trace her ancestral roots back to Britain and find some surprising ancestors.

Why on earth this has to become a setting for arguing is beyond me so I posted some info and that's the end for me.

I'm so glad it's distant though I wouldn't mind hearing this conversation coming from the castle (taken from a Gilmore Girl's episode).

LORELAI: Ew! What?!

EMILY: Oh, don't act so scandalized. It was not at all uncommon for prominent families to keep the bloodlines close.

LORELAI: Keeping the bloodlines close. Is that what we're calling it?

EMILY: Well, what would you call it?

LORELAI: Oh, I don't know. How about "Good morning, Appalachia, I got a mighty cute sister and an extra set of toes."

EMILY: No one has any extra toes.

LORELAI: I have a double-jointed thumb.

EMILY: Remarkable. Use it to hand me some more papers, please.

LORELAI: I'm sorry, but I don't understand how everyone was so okay with this. I mean, what, did they just go, "What a cute couple. They look so much alike."

Luckily Harry & Meghan look nothing alike. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

I hope that the UK rag mags stop with their incessant talk about Meghan's ethnicity. She had said in their interview that it was disheartening. Fasten your seat belts, it will unfortunately continue. This apparently is something widely under discussion there and disheartening doesn't even begin to accurately describe the climate.  I'm sure Harry is incensed.  

I don't know what channel it was on but he did say he wishes the press would give it a rest.

Honored Contributor

An American black woman is about to become part of the Royal family. I say that's pretty exciting.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Meghan is a descendant of King John and is actually distantly related to Harry through Queen Elizabeth's ancestry.

I think it is great she will become a UK citizen, especially considering her ancestry.

On her mother's side or her father's side?   I think Meghan would burst out laughing at that foolishness.  She's an American middle class girl from a not so nice section of LA who worked hard to make something of herself and never forgot where she came from.  

Anyone who thinks that Windsor Hills is a not-so-nice part of town, or next door to Compton as was referenced in another post, is sadly misinformed. And then there is the inevitability that urban neighborhoods change through the years. I lived and went to school in an adjacent community in my early adolescence and trust me, it was lily white upper middle class. Today, Windsor Hills is an area in transition, but has long been an area where affluent African Americans live. I have a friend who lives there, a college librarian.

There is such a thing as genealogy, and ancestry. I have traced my own roots to Elizabethan England; it’s not that difficult.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

How far the monarchy has come ,just think she is divorced,and of mixed race  ,i think it is just great.

@goldensrbestThe Old Guard is still alive and well imo.  It's because of William and Harry that things have changed but that's to be expected....they have their mother's heart.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

An American black woman is about to become part of the Royal family. I say that's pretty exciting.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee

Her self identity is as bi-racial.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes! But I pray that her life isn't made miserable by the constant reminders of those in the UK who say no it shouldn't happen.  @SilleeMee