Esteemed Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle Baby Shower In NYC

@occasionalrain wrote:

No one I know would have a baby shower. We can all afford to buy whatever our baby would need. We do give a gift when the child is born. 

How nice for you. 

Valued Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

Why would any grown adult criticize and judge a first time mother-to-be  for accepting an invitation from close friends who love her and want to share in her excitement and joy? I will never understand people. If I despised someone I wouldn’t begrudge them that. It really depresses me. I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread. My own fault.

Please don’t think that. You took a wonderful, happy occasion and allowed a lot of us the chance to share our own kind thoughts and well-wishes for this beautiful, first time mama-to-be! The way it should be. (And you even had me reminiscing about my first baby shower❣️) So, thank you🌷

@Ifeelwicked I’m sorry that my wording gave you the impression I started this thread. When I said “opened” I just meant clicking on it and opening it for myself. However your point is well taken and I should focus on the positive responses. Sometimes the state of our culture disheartens me but there are many kind and decent people like you so thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

If a shower is just to celebrate and enjoy spending time together  why are there gift registries? I have never been invited to a shower that said no gifts we just want to spend time with you.

I have no problem with anyone wealthy or not having a shower for a first baby.  However, no sprinkes or whatever they're called for every subsequent child.

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

I think Markle is beautiful. I love most of her clothes.
I was just thinking, today, with all the coverage of her in the papers--- who cares? I'm just so sick of her, the rest of the Royals, the special treatment. For whatever reason, I really resent people in this country being treated that way. If the UK likes to have royalty, fine. But in NYC, she's just another face in the crowd. There are just too many people, famous and not famous, who are deserving of adulation and special treatment everyday-- and, yet, they never get it. 

And, no, I'm not jealous. 

No, here in NYC she's not just another face in the crowd.  To a lot of people, seeing her is a very big deal . It's an added bonus for many that she's American.  I didn't go out of my way to see her, but I have no problem with people getting excited over a sighting, whether it's a celebrity, member of the Royal Family, or anyone else.  To each his own.  If it makes someone happy to see the Royal Family or read about them or analyze their fashions, why shouldn't they?   It brings them joy, and it's harmless.  People all over the world have been interested in royalty for a very, very long time, and that's unlikely to change. 

Being out and about with celebrities is part of my daily life.  I've seen reactions that  range from indifferent to happy to unable-to-speak crying from excitement.  And everything in between.  I can assure you that a lot of people couldn't care less about Meghan being in NYC, but a whole lot of other people were thrilled and went to great lengths to get a peek at her. The reason for all the coverage is because people do care.  You don't have to, of course, but there's a reason why the Royal Family is often prominently featured on the covers of magazines and tabloids.  Publications like those know what sells.

I agree there are true heroes who are deserving of respect and adulation that they don't receive.  I don't know anyone who would disagree with that.  But it's not a problem that Meghan created, and it's not a reason to begrudge her a small shower with close friends in her own country.  Or to blame her (or anyone in the Royal Family) for media coverage.

(I never play the jealousy card, btw.  I think it's too easy to fall back on that.  It's perfectly possible for one woman to have legitimate criticisms about another without it having anything to do with jealousy.)

Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Are some, most, deliberately missing the point? I

t's not about the gifts, we all give gifts to celebrate a baby, first, second, third...I don't care that Meghan gets gifts or what she does with them. 

The point is requesting gifts by someone in Meghan's position. Truly, there are those who request cash wedding gifts, fail to send thank you cards, but that does not make it acceptable. It's still poor manners. Those who are members of the royal family and those who are wealthy do not have showers because it's in poor taste.

Here is what SOME are missing......this is her last chance to get together with her friends here in the U.S., maybe for quite some time. The shower was not her idea. (It was meant to be a 5 day fun get-together in NY with her friends from California and Toronto.) It evolved into a shower. And you are wrong about “Royal” showers. Your opinion, I suspect. They DO have showers, though not for as many occasions as we have here. In fact, a baby shower in Britain is in the works for Meghan as we speak.

Personally don't care... She can have as many showers as she wants but actually, I think you might be wrong about royal showers... Yes, Markle is having another one when she returns, but per Cosmo and other sources:

"Baby showers are a typically American tradition, which means the British royal family hasn't historically celebrated them. According to ABC news' royal expert Victoria Arbiter, the tradition is frowned upon within the royal family. "They have added pressure that they're clearly very wealthy and a lavish baby shower would be seen as highly inappropriate," she said."

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

If a shower is just to celebrate and enjoy spending time together  why are there gift registries? I have never been invited to a shower that said no gifts we just want to spend time with you.

I have no problem with anyone wealthy or not having a shower for a first baby.  However, no sprinkes or whatever they're called for every subsequent child.

I've actually been to "no gift" baby showers.  And - as I wrote way upthread - I've been to showers where gifts took a backseat to good conversation, good food, and much joy.  So yes, some couples do just want to spend time with the people they invite.

More and more, I'm seeing showers with both males & females invited, and both mother-to-be and father-to-be in attendance.  I like those a lot.  They're much more fun and interesting, IMO.

As for registries, I see them as helpful to whoever wants to give a gift.  No one has to give a gift from the registry - No one has to give a gift at all.  I'm always grateful when there's a registry for any occasion.  

Overall, I have no problem with showers that include gifts, but I've never been to a shower where the gifts were all that mattered.  It's always been about having a good time together.  Life is tough, and happy times should be celebrated.  My family & friends have always been mindful of that.

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

I was just thinking, today, with all the coverage of her in the papers--- who cares? I'm just so sick of her, the rest of the Royals, the special treatment. For whatever reason, I really resent people in this country being treated that way. If the UK likes to have royalty, fine. But in NYC, she's just another face in the crowd. There are just too many people, famous and not famous, who are deserving of adulation and special treatment everyday-- and, yet, they never get it. 

No, here in NYC she's not just another face in the crowd.  To a lot of people, seeing her is a very big deal . It's an added bonus for many that she's American.  I didn't go out of my way to see her, but I have no problem with people getting excited over a sighting, whether it's a celebrity, member of the Royal Family, or anyone else.  To each his own.  If it makes someone happy to see the Royal Family or read about them or analyze their fashions, why shouldn't they?   It brings them joy, and it's harmless.  People all over the world have been interested in royalty for a very, very long time, and that's unlikely to change. 

Being out and about with celebrities is part of my daily life.  I've seen reactions that  range from indifferent to happy to unable-to-speak crying from excitement.  And everything in between.  I can assure you that a lot of people couldn't care less about Meghan being in NYC, but a whole lot of other people were thrilled and went to great lengths to get a peek at her. The reason for all the coverage is because people do care.  You don't have to, of course, but there's a reason why the Royal Family is often prominently featured on the covers of magazines and tabloids.  Publications like those know what sells.

I agree there are true heroes who are deserving of respect and adulation that they don't receive.  I don't know anyone who would disagree with that.  But it's not a problem that Meghan created, and it's not a reason to begrudge her a small shower with close friends in her own country.  Or to blame her (or anyone in the Royal Family) for media coverage.

(I never play the jealousy card, btw.  I think it's too easy to fall back on that.  It's perfectly possible for one woman to have legitimate criticisms about another without it having anything to do with jealousy.)

Well. Here in the city, among us actual NYers, no big deal. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

I definitely sense a lot of jealousy here. It's almost like you can only give and accept gifts if you're in a position to accept or give charity. Ridiculous. Baby showers these days ARE parties.

It's not 1952 where the 19 year old pregnant newlywed needs onesies and bibs. SOME people like to buy nice things for their friends and family just because they can.

@bathina   What a narrow view of our world.  No, its 2019 where some 19 year old pregnant girls and newlyweds NEED every little thing a new baby requires. Yes, bibs, onesies, pampers and everything else.  That's what a shower is,  historically a party given to "shower" a new first time mother with all the items a new baby requires.  Subsequent babies don't get showers, only a party with less focus on gifts, a 'sprinkle.'
There's no jealousy here. Some of you sound like you think you're in the same league financially with the Royals, that you can just afford anything you want in the world, for you and your friends.  You're not!  Sounds like you're the ones jealous of them.

Valued Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

Why would any grown adult criticize and judge a first time mother-to-be  for accepting an invitation from close friends who love her and want to share in her excitement and joy? I will never understand people. If I despised someone I wouldn’t begrudge them that. It really depresses me. I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread. My own fault.

Please don’t think that. You took a wonderful, happy occasion and allowed a lot of us the chance to share our own kind thoughts and well-wishes for this beautiful, first time mama-to-be! The way it should be. (And you even had me reminiscing about my first baby shower❣️) So, thank you🌷

@Ifeelwicked I’m sorry that my wording gave you the impression I started this thread. When I said “opened” I just meant clicking on it and opening it for myself. However your point is well taken and I should focus on the positive responses. Sometimes the state of our culture disheartens me but there are many kind and decent people like you so thank you!

@nevergivesup wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@nevergivesup wrote:

Ooops, thanks for the clarification. I woke up to a 36 degree morning in So. California and think I have a bit of brain freeze! And not the good kind, like from ice cream. 🥶 Have a great rest of your week🌷

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILTH wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

Well. Here in the city, among us actual NYers, no big deal. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "actual NYers", but I live in NYC.  I'm with actual NY people every day.