Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle Baby Shower In NYC

I read that there were only 15 people there. Her friend Jessica Mulroney was in NYC to do Good Morning America, she does a fashion segment on that show.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

If it's not about gifts than don't call it a shower. Showers are for helping provide what's needed, a shower of gifts. 

For that matter, why make it public?  Seems Meghan can't get enough attention so she's milking her pregnancy for all she can.

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, should no one of means have a baby shower?

Maybe some sort of income cutoff should be established.  A Bureau of Baby Shower Eligibility could determine from tax returns whether or not the expectant parents qualify.  A marvelous idea.

Honored Contributor

I hope she got many things needed to furnish the nursery at Frogmore Cottage. 

Honored Contributor

I think rich people enjoy gifts as much as anyone...what is wrong with that.Rich people seem to be getting a bad rap for their wealth  unless they are willing to give everything away.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think rich people enjoy gifts as much as anyone...what is wrong with that.Rich people seem to be getting a bad rap for their wealth  unless they are willing to give everything away.

No one is saying she shouldn't receive baby gifts. Her friends asking for gifts on her behalf is not unlike a charity dinner to benefit someone in need. Did Kate, Pippa, Gloria Vanderbilt...have a baby shower? It's something the K crowd does.

Honored Contributor

I want to send Meghan a gift. 

Anyone have her address?  LOL

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@dex wrote:

No one is saying she shouldn't receive baby gifts. Her friends asking for gifts on her behalf is not unlike a charity dinner to benefit someone in need. Did Kate, Pippa, Gloria Vanderbilt...have a baby shower? It's something the K crowd does.

So who is at fault?  The person or persons sponsoring the shower or Meghan herself for allowing and attending this gathering of 15 of her (I'm assuming) best friends?  ETA  Baby showers are an American custom.  Kate and Pippa, being British, would have received visitors after the birth of their children.  Visitors bearing gifts.  I have absolutely no idea if Gloria Vanderbilt had a baby shower.  Nor do I care.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain @They May or may not have had a shower but I am sure they got gifts from friends and family.A gift is from the heart and most people are excited to welcome a new baby with a gift.I didn’t think that gifts were only for people who needed them but as a gesture of love and sharing in a happy event.I thought donations were for people who needed assistance.

Respected Contributor

I definitely sense a lot of jealousy here. It's almost like you can only give and accept gifts if you're in a position to accept or give charity. Ridiculous. Baby showers these days ARE parties.

It's not 1952 where the 19 year old pregnant newlywed needs onesies and bibs. SOME people like to buy nice things for their friends and family just because they can.