Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle Baby Shower In NYC

See, this is the reason I so rarely open up any royal threads, besides the fact that they don't fascinate me.

Hard to believe that people are arguing about a baby shower of all things.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

How would anyone know if there were any gifts, if there were gifts what was done with the gifts, and why would anyone care? Her friends just want to share in the joy about the baby, I assume. Especially since she lives in another country now and doesn't see those friends much if at all. She's very lucky to have loyal friends, and they all seem to say that she is a caring loyal friend too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

That old 'jealousy' card, rearing it's head again...

People can have differing opinions without jealousy being a factor...

It didn't take long (it never does) for someone to use the "jealousy" card.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Meghan enough. Am I jealous of her? No. At this age I know who I am and the price of all that privilege is too high for me. The constant scrutiny, events (some are fun and some are pure drudgery) and constant being “on” is not for me. She seems good at her job and seems to enjoy it. Harry found the right women for it. But to say everyone is jealous seems a reach. No people just have differences in opinion. That is still our right? 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

There is no reason for Megan Markle to give away her gifts to anyone. What a silly statement to make to give them away. Her friends are giving her a baby shower. End of story. She is entitled to have just as much fun and share the joy of having a baby and all that entails  as is anyone.  Maybe you see a shower as a gift grab, that is your mentality. But it is not mine. We have showers to enjoy the company of the guests, the majority of which are family and friends. Gifts are secondary.  SMH

@this is my nic wrote:

Anyone here get an invitation?  I didn't.  I wonder why these people need a baby shower.  The main reason for showers is to get gifts.  I hope they give any gifts to charities that support needy families. 

Occasional Contributor

The royal protocol is that she isn't to have a shower, or be given gifts. She probably won't have one in the UK. THat said, this is the USA and as others have said...that doesn't mean she can't get together and celebrate with friends and loved ones. Either way...its none of our business and should just wish them well. 

Occasional Contributor

They actually fly commercial on offical state visits. When they went to Australia in the Fall they were in coach in the last row. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Showers are to spend time with family and friends. They are not a gift grab . . . at least not in my circle of friends. We are happy for those celebrating special events in life and are pleased to be invited to share in the joy.

That's my experience too.  I've been to several showers recently where gifts weren't even opened.  It was all about being together, and having a good time.  Gifts were not the focus at all. .  

As for wealthy/famous people having showers, why not?  They're fun, milestone events.  It's not about what they can or can't afford.  I know a lot of famous people (mostly because of my job), and there are some extremely wealthy people in my family.  It would never cross my mind that I shouldn't give them gifts or they shouldn't celebrate events the same way as everyone else.  

There's nothing wrong with people getting together to share happy times and to enjoy traditional celebrations no matter how little or how much money they have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

There is no reason for Megan Markle to give away her gifts to anyone. What a silly statement to make to give them away. Her friends are giving her a baby shower. End of story. She is entitled to have just as much fun and share the joy of having a baby and all that entails  as is anyone.  Maybe you see a shower as a gift grab, that is your mentality. But it is not mine. We have showers to enjoy the company of the guests, the majority of which are family and friends. Gifts are secondary.  SMH

@this is my nic wrote:

Anyone here get an invitation?  I didn't.  I wonder why these people need a baby shower.  The main reason for showers is to get gifts.  I hope they give any gifts to charities that support needy families. 

Perfect, @Rockycoast!  I agree completely. 

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLadyI'm not jealous.  I just don't get gifting to soeone that can afford anything.

A friend get together would be appropriate to celebrate without a lot of gifts.  

I never could understand celebrity showers.