Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle Baby Shower In NYC

I just wonder when some people here received their medical degrees in psychiatry. Over the top. Insulting another forum member's intelligence is also against the guidelines, I believe.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I have a number of English friends who live in London and baby showers are not common.  The Royals, traditionally, do not have baby showers.  I do not see the point for Meghan to have one, after all, money is not a problem.  I would think, she would follow protocol considering her position, now but it doesn't look that way.  I think she should follow her own path but within the rules of the family she chose to marry into.  She has chosen a different way of life and there are rules that go with it considering the position she now holds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I have a number of English friends who live in London and baby showers are not common.  The Royals, traditionally, do not have baby showers.  I do not see the point for Meghan to have one, after all, money is not a problem.  I would think, she would follow protocol considering her position, now but it doesn't look that way.  I think she should follow her own path but within the rules of the family she chose to marry into.  She has chosen a different way of life and there are rules that go with it considering the position she now holds.

@Somertime   Couldn't agree w/you more!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

I read that it is protocol for royals NOT to have baby showers and to return all gifts given them.   It's lovely for her to have a get together with all her friends to celebrate the upcoming birth.  But she accepted royal protocol when she got married and playing the American card seems sad.   

@NYwomanI agree w/you.  It's like she is thumbing her nose at Harry's family and is going to do what she wants no matter what.

Honored Contributor

This wasn't a secret trip.  If anyone in the Royal Family had a problem with this shower, I'm sure she wouldn't have gone to New York.

Some of these comments are mind-boggling...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i love the idea of friends fete-ing one another - lots of fun. 

but i do believe there will be raised eyebrows at the apparent lavshness on display here, whether privately funded or not - a bit tone deaf.

who isn't thinking of how many educations could be funded, meals could be bought,. needed medical care could have been subsidized with the money apparently spent on expensive suite, private jet, et cetera.  i am surprised.

imo they could have supported her charities and thrown her a tasteful party allowing them to have a nice get-together.and also do something meanngful in her name. ....although G King says flower arrangements were donated afterwards. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll assume that all of these women, as private citizens, spent their own funds on the various expenses and didn't ask taxpayers for help.

The notion that the money spent here would otherwise have gone to a charity is spurious and naive and my mind is also boggled.

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

This wasn't a secret trip.  If anyone in the Royal Family had a problem with this shower, I'm sure she wouldn't have gone to New York.

Some of these comments are mind-boggling...

Exactly. But some posters here seem to be so offended by the audacity of Meghan's friends hosting a baby shower and would have one believe that they are privy to how the Royal Family feels about a baby shower.

Esteemed Contributor

May 31, 2013 11:34 am

marieclaire.co.uk/news/celebrity-news/kate-middleton-s-baby-shower-is-royal-family-first-121745

Kate Middleton might be a member of the royal family, but that doesn’t mean she’ll miss out on the fun tradition of a baby shower while she awaits the arrival of her first child.

Pippa Middleton is said to be busy planning a party for the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge, which will include a cake in the shape of a dummy, baked especially for the occasion by her brother, James.

The whole family will be present at the baby shower, which is likely to be held at the Middleton family home in Berkshire. Although, the invitations and the specified location are being kept a closely-guarded secret.

A friend of the royal tells The Sun: “It isn’t royal tradition but Kate isn’t a traditional Royal.”

While most will assume that the Queen isn’t on board with introducing the new tradition of a baby shower, reports say that Pippa’s party plans have already been given the royal seal of approval.

The friend adds: “Prince Harry, Kate and William are the Royal Family’s link to the younger generation. A baby shower wouldn’t normally happen if you’re in the Royal Family, but there is now a modern way of thinking.

“It will be a great day for everyone and Kate is doing this with the blessing of the Queen.”

Guests at the event will reportedly be given goody bags which will include candles and a variety of gifts from Jo Malone and The White Company.

The source says: “She is modern and wants a normal life.”

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not to be believed that the Queen was pleased with Harry's choice of wife. Harry seems somewhat unstable like his mother and the Royals, so far, cater to him. 

They would speak to him about his wife but Harry can't or won't influence her. She does as she pleases and stopping her is next to impossible. If they excluded her they would hurt Harry and lose him. 

No one needs to be close to any of them to see that Harry is in the middle and chooses to please Meghan but he's not the jolly Harry he once was.

One would think that if Meghan loved him, she wouldn't disregard Royal tradition and come between him and his family.