Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle Baby Shower In NYC

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I think that we all can admit that we occasionally open up threads about topics we aren't really interested in just to read the hot mess that develops.  Now, That's Entertainment!

And this one doesn't disappoint!

What a collection of, well, can't say that here.

hahaha

Honored Contributor

Taxpayers in this country spend lots of money for regular travel and security for certain other people. Meghan's baby shower is a tiny drop compared to that ocean.

I can't believe all of this about her baby shower either.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

She did have her own security detail.  I don't know how much this trip cost the city of New York, but I'm sure what they spent very well and New York benefitted from that.

Respected Contributor

M's friends can indeed spend their money any way they wish.  yes! 

M has a different set of responsibilities due to her sponsorships/patronages and Harry's association with certain issues and his foundations --  and protocols of the Firm.. so she has to be careful how she is perceived - rightly or wrongly. her actions and what she associates herself with  reflect on them, their credibility.

Valued Contributor

@ms traditional 

She knows this more than everybody and she knows something what nobody knows.

She  is not crazy to do something including her shower that can be against her future in RL. If she does this way or that way it’s meant that ok with her husband and mother in low.

But it’s not Ok with other people who try to find anything wrong in whatever she is doing.

Respected Contributor

I am at home in Kensington at present and have read these threads. 

Having done some ‘ladies luncheons’ and a dinner here this topic was, of course, discussed.  General opinion seems to be re shower from ‘obscene’ to ‘typical showbiz what else do you expect’ ‘money but no class at all’, ‘the next thing will be The donating of the gifts and how wonderful of her’.   ‘Didn’t notice her hanging out with Clooney before she was married’. Etc. etc.

All this was the talk generally.  Unfortunately not a good move for Meghan the press will go for this.

Mostly opinions generally were that marriage will not last be ‘like Andrew & Fergie over in 10 years and that Harry ‘has bitten off more than he can chew’ and how ‘unhappy he looks - no big deal they are relatively unimportant’.  William and Kate being main people and glad Kate went on family skiing holiday not to the shower.  All just opinions.

Am off to point-to-point horse show now so will, I am sure hear more from the ‘horsey set’.  

I am requested to attend several functions here on behalf of family - and it is interesting to hear all the chat by just one group of Brits.  My own personal opinion have a shower, or lunch with friends - no presents, she does not need them - low key - not so in your face with big $$$ posted everywhere.  

Valued Contributor

@stevieb @Pearle ...  I LOVE to follow Catherine ...  I 

LOVE the way she is styled (a little too traditional for some) but she always looks just perfect to me !!  Now here comes Meghan the movie star who adds a bit of haute couture to the mix and now every caption above the pictures includes the price and name of the fashion house for Meghan's dress or whatever.

Stevieb ...  you hit the nail on the head for me ...  we now have the new edgy couple who ride the white line ...  I.e., the palace says please don’t hold hands in public, first thing they do (not just hold hands but hang off his arm) ... I just feel we are going to see some rivalry ...  first thing we have to do is move away from Buckingham Palace (?) which I read they are doing ...  we’re going to bring our baby up a bit differently, etc. ... I think you are exactly right ...  Harry has always given the royal family a run for their money, now he has a companion to join him and she comes with a full basket of causes of her own !!  I just pray nothing interferes with the relationship the brothers have shared ...  as they say, stay tuned !!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad that Meghan got away from that miserable crowd over there, at least for a little while.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mlsg wrote:

@ms traditional 

She knows this more than everybody and she knows something what nobody knows.

She  is not crazy to do something including her shower that can be against her future in RL. If she does this way or that way it’s meant that ok with her husband and mother in low.

But it’s not Ok with other people who try to find anything wrong in whatever she is doing.

she is taking some hits - not from haters, but from her constituencies today-- like Friends of the Earth, advocates for the homeless, etc.  i doubt she wanted (and she certainly doesn't need) this kind of publicity. she doesn't always exercise the best judgment, imo.  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's not to be believed that the Queen was pleased with Harry's choice of wife. Harry seems somewhat unstable like his mother and the Royals, so far, cater to him. 

They would speak to him about his wife but Harry can't or won't influence her. She does as she pleases and stopping her is next to impossible. If they excluded her they would hurt Harry and lose him. 

No one needs to be close to any of them to see that Harry is in the middle and chooses to please Meghan but he's not the jolly Harry he once was.

One would think that if Meghan loved him, she wouldn't disregard Royal tradition and come between him and his family. 

@occasionalrain  While certainly none of us is privy to the true nature of their relationship nor to the family's actual feelings about their pairing, it's been speculated that William shared his doubts with Harry and that this has caused a bit of an estragement... Who knows... As for the queen, one can only surmise if she or other royals did view the match negatively they recalled the debacle that ensued when they tried to create a perfect... royal match between Charles and Diana, and opted to back off, especially given Harry and Meghan will, in time, be 'minor' royals... One might also consider the royal family's institutional memory of the rifts and mess that ensued when the Duke of Windsor abdicated in favor of Mrs. Simpson was, perhaps, also a factor... Finally, it's a safe bet they didn't want to deal with negative motives that might be attributed to them had they taken a stand against the marriage...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...