Respected Contributor

Medicare will cover vaccine

[ Edited ]

I just received an email that the cost of the coronavirus vaccine will be covered by Medicare. It is also my understanding that anyone can get the vaccine when it is their turn without paying a fee. Looks like I will be in the third wave to get vaccinated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Medicare will cover vaccine

I've gotten a couple of emails from my insurance provider (not Medicare). They'll cover the cost of the vaccine, but not any administrative or facility fees. This is exactly how they handle the flu shot as well. My PCP's office always nags me to get my shots there, but they charge a $35 "facility usage" fee, so it's off to Walgreen's I go where it's covered 100%.

I'm under 65 with no underlying risk factors, so it'll probably be well into 2021Q4 before it's available to me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

There is no charge for the vaccination.  Just as with the flu shot, you can get it at CVS or Walgreens, plus other places that will be announced dependent upon your community.

Honored Contributor

The new very wonderful stimulus package (eye roll) that was just signed includes money so that everyone can get the COVID vaccine free of charge including the administration fee.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   That's a good thing.

Esteemed Contributor

This vaccine should be free for everyone. What is this administration fee stuff?

Honored Contributor

Does that mean it's covered under the regular A & B?  I don't have any of the additional coverage.   

I also don't have a doctor so I was afraid that one couldn't even get it w/o having a doc.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg   An administrive fee pays the person who administers the vaccine, which is usually a seperate charge.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt   You would need a Medicare RX program ( Part D) or an Advantage Plan to have Medicare cover immunizations.  Medicare Part A and B never cover RX drugs.

Nothing to worry about though.  Everyone will be able to get the vaccine free of charge, even if they don't have any insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Nuttmeg   An administrive fee pays the person who administers the vaccine, which is usually a seperate charge.

@Carmie

I had a shot at my doctor's office and Medicare paid $90 for the vaccination and the fee for nurse was $28. This is fair.