Respected Contributor

Re: Medicare is Expected to Rise 6.7%

Cost of natural gas for heating expected to go up 30% this winter.  No wins here.

Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Yes, we got a great raise in SS - 5.9%, but just be aware Medicare is expected to rise about 6.7% which, based on $148.50 is about $10.

I received notice from Medicare that it's going up 1.9%, not 5.9%.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

Cost of natural gas for heating expected to go up 30% this winter.  No wins here.

@Twins Mom - I live in Atlanta and in the past I've always locked in our natural gas rate for 12 months at a time.  Last year I think if was 35 cents per therm and then we got a discount on top of that for being a long time customer. Our renewal is in August.   I can't lock in this year because I am moving in a few months. For "fun" yesterday I checked and the lock in rate is 79 cents per therm right now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Yes, we got a great raise in SS - 5.9%, but just be aware Medicare is expected to rise about 6.7% which, based on $148.50 is about $10.

I received notice from Medicare that it's going up 1.9%, not 5.9%.

@CalminHeart

I received notice we would see a $4 increase in part B for 2022. I do hope this number is correct.

Esteemed Contributor

The government will find a way to either tax us or get it back some way 

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

That is one of the problems with percentages!!!!!!!!!!!!  Here is the actual for me.  My increase is over $100.00 per month.  Medicare increase is $ 10.00 per month, I net an increase of $ 90.00 per month.  I will take that any day over your percentage "comparisons".

I agree!  I figured that our SS combined will go up to about $228.00 a month...a deduction of $10.00 each is not bad.

I realize it's not the same for everyone and I hope that everyone does come out ahead!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're not getting a raise, we are getting a pay cut. Wish people would think things through to find the truth. I'm sure it makes many people feel better thinking that things are better rather than face the reality. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

We're not getting a raise, we are getting a paycut. Wish people would think things through to find the truth. I'm sure it makes many people feel better thinking that things are better rather than face the reality. 

@RetRN 

???   As stated upthread, the 5.9% COLA increase will average $93 per month.  The Medicare increase will average $10 per month.  

Since you feel you have thought things through, what exactly are you referring to when you say "pay cut"?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, enjoy your raise. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Tinkrbl44, enjoy your raise. 

@RetRN 

So ....  since you posted that it's a pay cut, and you have thought this all through, please share what your post actually meant. 

If I recall correctly, SS recipients don't ever get "raises".  The yearly COLA needs to be adjusted, IMO, but why would anyone think recipients should get "raises"?