Honored Contributor

We moved to Florida on July 3,2010 and Aug 1st started medicare. Plus DH had to switch his coverage from who he had in pa.within 30 days. We knew nothing about what to pick, and we are AARP members so I called them. They recommended an advantage plan for us so we signed up for it  and then we started to go to town hall meetings and online medicare meetings to learn what we wanted to do in the future. When we got our medicare and you book we examined it carefully and in the end we stayed with the advantage plan we had originally signed on with.When I went in the hospital for knee surgery the clerk in the office who took my info said that about 75% of the  medicare  patients she signs in have the same insurance we do. 

While any and all insurance companies or medicare can frustrate one on occasion we generally have been satisfied with our coverage. This year we changed to the HMO from the PPO because they ofered some things that were beneficial to us in the HMO. our advantage plan offers much better coverage than the insurance we paid a lot for from DH's company when he was still working.

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I would also recommend doing some research on your own  first so you have a basic understanding of the options. An agent may be representing a specific company and could be biased. She/he will be making a commission.

This agent knew I was just there to understand the Plans and the Parts (that's what was confusing to me) - I made no commitment to her - although I believe the cost is the same wherever you go. 

Respected Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

When the time comes I won't have to investigate at all.  With Federal Blue Cross I won't be paying a dime with Medicare on any patient responsibilities.  

That's what I thought too, but not entirely true.  Neither will pay for certain blood tests (i.e., vitamin D test).  That cost me $92 out of pocket.  Medicare didn't pay for my pneumonia shot and I'm still waiting to see if BC will pay.  Although most will be paid, you still need to be informed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Medicare choices

[ Edited ]

I am on DH's insurance plan with his job so need to find out what happens there.  I don't have all of the answers yet but am starting to get a little anxious as I know you have to choose now or face penalties in the future.  DH plans on working in the years to come as I am older than he is.  Thanks for all the information.

On a side note I have been in denial of this birthday and am struggling to think I am going to go on Medicare.  Time flies by, doesn't it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare choices

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

On a side note I have been in denial of this birthday and am struggling to think I am going to go on Medicare.  Time flies by, doesn't it.  

Ever since I got my AARP card in my 50th year, every time I step into a place of business, the first words out of my mouth are, "Do you have AARP and/or senior discounts?"   You would be amazed at the places that have them UNADVERTISED. Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

When the time comes I won't have to investigate at all.  With Federal Blue Cross I won't be paying a dime with Medicare on any patient responsibilities.  

That's what I thought too, but not entirely true.  Neither will pay for certain blood tests (i.e., vitamin D test).  That cost me $92 out of pocket.  Medicare didn't pay for my pneumonia shot and I'm still waiting to see if BC will pay.  Although most will be paid, you still need to be informed.

I have Blue Cross that I buy on my own.  They excluded payment for a vitamin D test at my yearly physical.  I was surprised, so I called them and they said they'd cover it.  You might want to give them a call.