Honored Contributor

Medicare and additional insurance

If you are on medicare with a suppement...do you also purchase Vision insurance?  My husband and I have dental and vision insurance, but I am wondering if the vision is necessary.  

He does have an eye condition that is not overly serious, when he sees the eye doctor they bill his medicare and supplement policy.  I am just not sure paying the the vision is necessary.

I probably should go thru my paperwork from this year to see what was billed to our vision insurance...but thought I'd ask for any advice/input.   thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare and additional insurance

Well yes! Vision is necessary. Many times eye disease doesn't develop until our latter years. My ophthalmologist told me that everyone, yes everyone in their life will have cataracts. There are many undiagnosed I diseases out there, and of course he would want insurance, Medicare supplement to pay for surgery, and medication if needed. It's one of the most halves on the Medicare plan.

Honored Contributor

We've been going to LensCrafters for our eye exams ($59 as an AARP member) and they usually offer significant discounts on their glasses.

Having said that, we plan to switch to United Healthcare's Advantage PPO for next year which includes free eye exams, and covers most of the expense of eyeglasses.  It also includes a dental plan, both of which are important to me at this stage of life.

Good luck making a decision!

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 ...my queston was if having an additional vision policy was necessary.  

Cataract suregery would be covered under your supplement and medicare since it is medical.

I do realize the VISION policy cover exams and glasses.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

I can't answer your question specifically only you can, you know what the concerns are regarding your husband and yourself 

but

I can answer the question on insurance.

Why do we have insurance?  To pay for catastrophic losses if any occur.   You might not have any but the chance you may have one in your lifetime is monumental.  The costs are astronomical and it could financially wipe you out, that's why we have insurance.  Do I like to pay those fee's, no, but I'm sure glad when I need to file a claim, I do have someone to file it with.

If you are willing to gamble that nothing will happen and are financially sound to afford to take risks, then you don't need it.

I couldn't understand why my mom for years and years were paying those insurance premiums but the last 8 years of her life, I am so happy she did, everything was covered 100% and if she didn't have that insurance, she would of been wiped out financially.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling   Oh I understand the need for insurance, I am just not sure we NEED vision insurance. The cost is not high - it's not about the money, it is more of a curious quesion.

I don't get new glasses every year or have my eyes examined, yearly.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - I understand your question.  I have been on Medicare for exactly 1 year.  

I have Medicare and a supplement only.  

I did not choose to get a separate vision plan.  I pay for my eye exam and glasses (which are very expensive) out of pocket. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Thanks for the reply...you are correct, glasses are very expensive!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  No probably about it.  Do your research.

years ago I heard an insurance agent lament that too many people spend more time deciding which pair of trousers to buy than they do when they buy insurances.   

Doing my insurances right saves me money month after month. What will work for your family depends upon your own needs, maybe not even close to min3 or anyone else here today 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops ...I am only asking about VISION INSURANCE...

NOT a supplement which I have.

I am aware of the importance of insurace.