Honored Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 Medicare & You 2022 👍🏾

@northiie57 wrote:

I became disabled and widowed in my fifties and social security said if I refuse or deny my medicare Part B coverage, I would jeopardize getting cut off of all money benefits.  I too do not like the monthly premium, but I have no choice.  I wish it was set up where we could choose our own plan on the marketplace, but if you are on medicare, you will be denied.

I'm not sure to what you refer with getting cut off of all money benefits if you delete PtB.    What I was told was that if I do so and then change my mind down the road I will be charged a penalty.  There was nothing about losing any other earned benefits from SSA.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

I became disabled and widowed in my fifties and social security said if I refuse or deny my medicare Part B coverage, I would jeopardize getting cut off of all money benefits.  I too do not like the monthly premium, but I have no choice.  I wish it was set up where we could choose our own plan on the marketplace, but if you are on medicare, you will be denied.

There is a Market Place for Medicare recipients @northiie57 .  

Finally, I thought ACA medical was so costly and people complained about it so much (State specific).  You wouldn't save by going through the regular "market place."  You'd likely have to pay more in monthly premiums.

this is what I found on the healthcare site

Can I get a Marketplace plan in addition to Medicare?

No. It’s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell or issue you a Marketplace policy. This is true even if you have only Medicare Part A or only Part B.

If I have Medicare, can I get a stand-alone dental plan through the Marketplace?

In most cases, no. If the Marketplace in your state is run by the federal government, you won’t be able buy a stand-alone dental plan unless you’re also buying a health plan. If your state is running its own Marketplace, you may be able to purchase a stand-alone dental plan.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sann wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

Are they still covering yearly mamograms?

Yes once every twelve months ........

They will cover 2-D mammos once yearly. 3-D mammos are covered if your supplemental covers them (most do but not all).  If not then you pay for 3-D mammos and copays. 

It's my understanding that if Medicare doesn't cover it your supplement won't either.

Trusted Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

Finally, I thought ACA medical was so costly and people complained about it so much (State specific).  You wouldn't save by going through the regular "market place."  You'd likely have to pay more in monthly premiums.

No. It’s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell or issue you a Marketplace policy. This is true even if you have only Medicare Part A or only Part B.

If I have Medicare, can I get a stand-alone dental plan through the Marketplace?

In most cases, no. If the Marketplace in your state is run by the federal government, you won’t be able buy a stand-alone dental plan unless you’re also buying a health plan. If your state is running its own Marketplace, you may be able to purchase a stand-alone dental plan.

the site is mostly people who are transitioning into their Medicare coverage and not on it just yet.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't received my new book yet.  I just keep it near in case I need to look up something.

I honestly don't think much of the content changes from year to year.  They may add/delete some things if new guidelines have been passed.  Otherwise, it's the same book.  I think it's important we always keep the latest and greatest @Mz iMac  for that reason.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

On "free" advantage plans, you still have to pay the Medicare part B premium so it's not like you're getting free healthcare.  

And then there are co-pays.

Nothing is totally free.

@gidgetgh 

My younger sister thinks she can refuse Medicare so she does not have to pay for it & keep using Medicaid when starts her SS early at 62.

We keep trying to tell her when something else is available to you Medicaid no longer will be available to use. She does not get it but she will soon.

@Nightowlz She's won't be eligible for Medicare until she reaches 65.  It doesn't matter that she will be taking SS at 62.

Respected Contributor

I have a dental plan that I purchased through my employer prior to getting Medicare. I pay monthly premium that is deducted from my pension check.

Esteemed Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

All the more reason to use the Medicare Marketplace for your state.  The market place consists of various types of plans like HMO's, PPO's, POS.  Some will require you to stick with network services in order to save; some won't have this restriction.  Some include drugs; some don't.  So many plans to choose from.  Then there are Supplement Plans (which are only sold to some baed on age).

Get yourself with a broker and discuss your needs with them (Medicare).  Don't worry about the regular marketplace for the rest, who may still work, have not reached the age for Medicare coverage or their employers send them to the marketplace.  

Best of luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

On "free" advantage plans, you still have to pay the Medicare part B premium so it's not like you're getting free healthcare.  

And then there are co-pays.

Nothing is totally free.

@gidgetgh 

My younger sister thinks she can refuse Medicare so she does not have to pay for it & keep using Medicaid when starts her SS early at 62.

We keep trying to tell her when something else is available to you Medicaid no longer will be available to use. She does not get it but she will soon.

@Nightowlz She's won't be eligible for Medicare until she reaches 65.  It doesn't matter that she will be taking SS at 62.

@CelticCrafter not unless she's disabled.  Those who receive SSI and SSDI no matter the age don't have to wait for that age.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   Agree.

I also noticed that if there are any changes, my supp ins will let me know in writing.

Also, I live in a 55+ community.  Each year around enrollment time, every Tom, ****** & Harry Advantage Plan agents that are allowed to work in my county comes to my place for one-one & group Q&A & enrollment meetings. 

AARP UnitedHealth supp & their HMO sets up shop in CVS & the municiple building(s) as well.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif