Honored Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 Medicare & You 2022 👍🏾

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sann wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

Are they still covering yearly mamograms?

Yes once every twelve months ........

They will cover 2-D mammos once yearly. 3-D mammos are covered if your supplemental covers them (most do but not all).  If not then you pay for 3-D mammos and copays. 

It's my understanding that if Medicare doesn't cover it your supplement won't either.

@CelticCrafter 

Now I'm confused b/c when I had my mammo just this past Friday the person who checked me in at the desk said that I needed to check with my advantage plan to see if the 3-D would be covered. I didn't know at that time what was covered so I did not get the 3-D mammo b/c I didn't want to pay for it.

If you have an Advantage Plan, you do not have a Medicare supplement.  A supplement picks up deductibles and copays after Traditional Medicare pays it's share. If Medicare doesn't pay, your supplement doesn't either.

When you buy an Advantage plan, you no longer have Traditional Medicare.  You only have and need your Advantage coverage.  You should always call your Advantage plan company if you want to know your benefits.  They can and do differ from Traditional Medicare and supplemental policies.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

On "free" advantage plans, you still have to pay the Medicare part B premium so it's not like you're getting free healthcare.  

And then there are co-pays.

Nothing is totally free.

Ah, ok thanks.   I knew there had to be a catch.  Medical insurance is never free.    I want to delete the part B and am just trying to figure out how.

@chickenbutt 

No, there isn't a "catch".  It's a difference in how billing is done.  As for eliminating Part B, I'm not sure this is even possible.   You need to call a Medicare agent who can further explain this to you and answer your questions.   Have a list of questions ready.

My suggestion ... do it NOW.  don't wait until the last minute.  After you talk to a Medicare agent/advisor, trust me, a couple days later you will have more questions and will need to call again.  It's a process, and you need to be willing to take the time to do so.  After all, it's your health we're talking about here.

@Tinkrbl44 The only way I can see them denying her the elimination of Part B would be based on her income and other medical coverage she might have.  Some people have a combination of coverage which include employers and spouse's coverage from work.  If she has other coverage 

they are more likely to let her drop Part B.  If she does not

and her income is restricted (only income is SS) then they

might not let her drop it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt  I recommend you call your county or state office on aging.  See if they have any programs you would qualify for to perhaps fill in any gaps in coverage.  These programs are probably income based but it's worth a phone call.  Someone should be able to work the numbers to see if there is anything that would help you.  At least that is what I think happens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@quilter61 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I get so overwhelmed trying to understand some of this stuff.    I only have MedA and MedB but, since I cannot afford medical care anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to delete MedB so I can at least have a few more $$ each month.   

I can't seem to figure out how to do this.  Does anybody else know?  TIA for any advice in that regard.  Smiley Happy

My suggestion is that you contact an Insurance Broker to help you decide what plan is best for you.   They will need the doctors you see, plus any medication you are currently taking.   There is no cost to contact a Broker.   

Yikes!  I hope it doesn't take that.  Like I said, I cannot afford medical care for myself so I'm only trying to delete the Medicare B part so I can have that $150-or so back each month.  

I don't have a doctor, and haven't for nearly 20 years, except for the orthopaedic care I had, a few years ago, for almost 3 months when I broke my arm.   That was only because it was unavoidable.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt 

You can go to medicare dot gov, click on "health and drug plans" at the top, plug in your zip code, and then you'll be able to compare either regular Medicare plans or the Advantage plans. 

Depending on the area where you live, you could get a free plan. According to what I see on the site, that means you don't pay Part A since you no longer have traditional Medicare, but you DO pay Part B, and then either 0$ or whatever cost the Advantage plan charges per month. So it would cost you roughly the $150 Part B (but not the original Medicare) plus whatever the Advantage plan charges. 

The website is surprisingly straightforward.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sann wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

Are they still covering yearly mamograms?

Yes once every twelve months ........

They will cover 2-D mammos once yearly. 3-D mammos are covered if your supplemental covers them (most do but not all).  If not then you pay for 3-D mammos and copays. 

It's my understanding that if Medicare doesn't cover it your supplement won't either.

@CelticCrafter 

Now I'm confused b/c when I had my mammo just this past Friday the person who checked me in at the desk said that I needed to check with my advantage plan to see if the 3-D would be covered. I didn't know at that time what was covered so I did not get the 3-D mammo b/c I didn't want to pay for it.

If you have an Advantage Plan, you do not have a Medicare supplement.  A supplement picks up deductibles and copays after Traditional Medicare pays it's share. If Medicare doesn't pay, your supplement doesn't either.

When you buy an Advantage plan, you no longer have Traditional Medicare.  You only have and need your Advantage coverage.  You should always call your Advantage plan company if you want to know your benefits.  They can and do differ from Traditional Medicare and supplemental policies.

Now I'm even more confused. Guess I need to make a phone call. My Medicare goes through my state gov healthcare system and it's not like regular Medicare...'managed Medicare' is what I heard it called.

Contributor

Hi.  All you have to do is contact S.S. and they will send you a form. Fill it out declining Part B and they will remove it.  It can be reinststed any time if you change your mind.   Hope this helps.  Take care and stay safe.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt 

Each state has free benefits counseling. Check out

seniorsresourceguide.com

Your state should be listed. Many states have the SHIP program. Here in Florida it is the SHINE program. They are NOT affiliated with any insurance company. You can call the number and someone will call you back to discuss your concerns and best options for you.

You are very fortunate that you have not had any major health issues. But, at your age, odds are not in your favor that you will not need medical care. Having health insurance gives you options to get basic care,  get early detection of problems ,seek second opinions, and gives you choices. You do not want to gamble with your health.

You need to get information to make an informed decision. There are options available to you. Do not cancel Part B unless you have an Advantage Plan that pays for it. 

I am your age and a cancer survivor. Aggressive tumor popped out of nowhere ( had mammogram and ultra sound 4 months prior)! Grateful that I had healthcare to cover the cost chemo, surgery, radiation,and reconstruction.Going for 5 years checkup tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt,

Every state has free medicare counseling from Trained volunteers who can help you decide what is the best plan for you based on your income and medical needs.

I see only one other poster has mentioned this (last post by @Zaimee.

They are not licensed insurance agents nor affiliated with any company, so totally dedicated to finding you the best plan.

It is called SHIIP-( medicare and seniors health insurance program)

These programs are with the

Department of Insurance.gov and like @Zaimee, said may be called something different in some states but probably most are called SHIIP.

So you do not need an insurance broker who usually is paid and not always, objective as to which insurance or plan they may recommend.

Nor do you have to figure it out all on your own, or try to muddle hrough the medicare book or advantage plans supplements etc. These advisors I think are the only ones to ask to get thru this and make decisions that are best for you in your state.

You can just put SHIIP in your search bar and find the one in your state. It will have a number to call and you can put in your zip code to see where the closest office is.

Sometimes they are located in a church or someplace like that. They are extremely knowledgable.

Best of luck and I know you will feel so relieved when you get this all figured out with people who know what they are talking about and how to help.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

and PS @chickenbutt,

If you are having a hard time affording medicare B you sound like you might qualify for medicaid or at least help with paying medicare B-

There are these govt/state programs to help people who can't afford any insurance.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Gourmet wrote:

Hi.  All you have to do is contact S.S. and they will send you a form. Fill it out declining Part B and they will remove it.  It can be reinststed any time if you change your mind.   Hope this helps.  Take care and stay safe.

Yes, it can be reinstated, but there is a 10% penality to reinstate it for every 12 months you didn't have it.  

So, if you cancelled it for three years, you would pay 30% more each month for the rest of your life for Part B.  That means instead of 148.50 a month, it would cost 193.05.  That's over $2300 a year more!