Esteemed Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 Medicare & You 2022 👍🏾

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Agree.

I also noticed that if there are any changes, my supp ins will let me know in writing.

Also, I live in a 55+ community.  Each year around enrollment time, every Tom, ****** & Harry Advantage Plan agents that are allowed to work in my county comes to my place for one-one & group Q&A & enrollment meetings. 

AARP UnitedHealth supp & their HMO sets up shop in CVS & the municiple building(s) as well.

@Mz iMac Yepper!!!!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt   Yes, you can cancel Medicare Part B, but it would be the worst decision of your life.  

Without Part B you would have no insurance for any doctors, labs, ER, tests, etc.  essentially ALL outpatient medical services.

Medicare Part A only covers the facility bills for inpatient stays, which isn't much.  Even the doctors would not be covered for an inpatient say.

You absolutely 100% need Part B. If you drop it and want to pick it up again, you will pay a 10% penality for evey 12 months you went without it for the rest of your life.  No insurance company will sell you any other type of Insuranxe without Part B.

I would suggest you call Medicaid and see if you are eligible for help.  You can also call the Department of Aging in your state. There are programs for low income people.

If you are not eligible for Medicaid, you could look into a Medicare Advangage Plan with a zero monthly preminum.  You would still have to Pay for Medicare Part B, but you would not have large copays and deductibles if you received medical care.

Sooner or later you will 100% require medical care.

To cancel Medicare Part B, you would need to call SS.  They will probably try to talk you out of it...as they should, but if you insist, they will send you a form to fill out.

Please do NOT cancel Part B...ever.  That would be a dangerous move.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sann wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

Are they still covering yearly mamograms?

Yes once every twelve months ........

They will cover 2-D mammos once yearly. 3-D mammos are covered if your supplemental covers them (most do but not all).  If not then you pay for 3-D mammos and copays. 

It's my understanding that if Medicare doesn't cover it your supplement won't either.

@CelticCrafter 

Now I'm confused b/c when I had my mammo just this past Friday the person who checked me in at the desk said that I needed to check with my advantage plan to see if the 3-D would be covered. I didn't know at that time what was covered so I did not get the 3-D mammo b/c I didn't want to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@chickenbutt   Yes, you can cancel Medicare Part B, but it would be the worst decision of your life.  

Without Part B you would have no insurance for any doctors, labs, ER, tests, etc.  essentially ALL outpatient medical services.

Medicare Part A only covers the facility bills for inpatient stays, which isn't much.  Even the doctors would not be covered for an inpatient say.

You absolutely 100% need Part B. If you drop it and want to pick it up again, you will pay a 10% penality for evey 12 months you went without it for the rest of your life.  No insurance company will sell you any other type of Insuranxe without Part B.

I would suggest you call Medicaid and see if you are eligible for help.  You can also call the Department of Aging in your state. There are programs for low income people.

If you are not eligible for Medicaid, you could look into a Medicare Advangage Plan with a zero monthly preminum.  You would still have to Pay for Medicare Part B, but you would not have large copays and deductibles if you received medical care.

Sooner or later you will 100% require medical care.

To cancel Medicare Part B, you would need to call SS.  They will probably try to talk you out of it...as they should, but if you insist, they will send you a form to fill out.

Please do NOT cancel Part B...ever.  That would be a dangerous move.

So glad you came onto this post, @Carmie.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  If you insist on omitting Part B why don't you take the form you downloaded & visit your local SSA office in person?  confused.gif

================================

@Carmie  TY Languages.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@chickenbutt  If you insist on omitting Part B why don't you take the form you downloaded & visit your local SSA office in person?  confused.gif

I did print up the form.  Unfortunately, they are not doing any in-person at the SSA office here.    That was going to be my next choice but I talked to somebody on the phone here and not only did she tell me that but it was on the recording that played over and over when I was on hold.

I'm kind of surprised they are not doing any in-person business and wasn't able to get any info as to when that might change.  I'm vaccinated and I wear a mask.  Geez, I do go to the dentist twice a year and they are all in my mouth!   An appointment with SSA has you behind a glass thing anyway from the personnel.   But, I understand they need to do what they need to do to be safe, so I'm going to call again tomorrow and hope to be able to get through to somebody who can do it by phone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got notice today my drug plan went from 18 to 24 starting in 2022.

I'm sure the Medicare Supplement Mutual of OMaha Plan G will go up too.

The Medicare premium I'm sure will go up too, hopefully, because of inflation our SS checks will go up by 5% or better.

Respected Contributor

I got my 2022 book by email. I don't know why, I didn't request it that way. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

On "free" advantage plans, you still have to pay the Medicare part B premium so it's not like you're getting free healthcare.  

And then there are co-pays.

Nothing is totally free.

@gidgetgh 

My younger sister thinks she can refuse Medicare so she does not have to pay for it & keep using Medicaid when starts her SS early at 62.

We keep trying to tell her when something else is available to you Medicaid no longer will be available to use. She does not get it but she will soon.

@Nightowlz She's won't be eligible for Medicare until she reaches 65.  It doesn't matter that she will be taking SS at 62.

@CelticCrafter 

We know that. Try to tell her that. We keep forgetting she has to wait until 65. She will either have to pay for Medicare at 65 or do without healthcare. We don't think she will be able to use Medicaid after she starts SS.

Now we have a brother saying he's not going to pay for Medicare either? I don't get why they would not pay the money for it.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

On "free" advantage plans, you still have to pay the Medicare part B premium so it's not like you're getting free healthcare.  

And then there are co-pays.

Nothing is totally free.

Ah, ok thanks.   I knew there had to be a catch.  Medical insurance is never free.    I want to delete the part B and am just trying to figure out how.

@chickenbutt 

No, there isn't a "catch".  It's a difference in how billing is done.  As for eliminating Part B, I'm not sure this is even possible.   You need to call a Medicare agent who can further explain this to you and answer your questions.   Have a list of questions ready.

My suggestion ... do it NOW.  don't wait until the last minute.  After you talk to a Medicare agent/advisor, trust me, a couple days later you will have more questions and will need to call again.  It's a process, and you need to be willing to take the time to do so.  After all, it's your health we're talking about here.