Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Supplements - Don’t Count the Little Guys Out

@nyc1 wrote:

I just signed up for Part A Medicare because you have to, but I'm still working and covered by my company insurance plan. It seems so convoluted and confusing, when you actually have to make a decision about coverage and supplimental plans.  It's a shame that is the case, but I guess that is why there are Medicare advisors who will give you suggestions at no cost.   I was BOMBARDED for the past year with Medicare offers...  phone calls throughout the day and mailings.  OMG.

How have most of you gotten your information and made your decisions?  Thanks.

I was in that situation for a year and a half before I retired. It was confusing. 

I did as much online research as I could about all facets, and then I stumbled across the very helpful website of an agency that handles nothing but Medicare supplements; it’s their specialty. They know what is/isn’t sold in any given state. I was impressed with them when I signed up and I still am; they do yearly follow-ups with all their customers.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

I may be wrong but I believe it's the other way around.   You can't change advantage plans but supplemental plans are purchased outside of medicare on the open market and can be changed.

Maybe the 'local medicare expert' can clarify this.

You can change to a different Advantage Plan and Medicare Part D ( RX Insurance) every year during open enrollment.

Medicare Supplements can be downgraded, but not upgraded yearly.  However, it will cost you more for a downgraded policy because of the higher fess that will be changed if your Medicare Part B insurance effective date was more than three months ago. So, why would anyone want to pay more for less coverage?  

You also can switch from Original Medicare and a Supplemental Plan to an Advantage Plan during open enrollment.  

If you want to switch from an Advantage Plan to Original Medicare, you will probably not be able to purchase a supplement to go with it, nor will you be able to purchase a separate RX plan.

So, though some changes are possible, they will be cost prohibited or not in anyone best interest.

Once you choose Original Medicare and a Supplement, you will probably have the supplement you have chosen for life, or until it is no longer offered unless you choose to trade it for an Advantage Plan.

And one other thing to note: All straight marketplace Medicare supplement plans offer the same benefits. It’s not like a MA plan that may offer different benefits in different areas, or not be available in certain areas. 

There’s no real reason to change from one straight supplement to another because they all offer the same coverage - unlike MA plans.  As far as cost - that’s why I started this thread - to say check the premiums of all supplement companies available to you before you choose, because while switching later is possible, there’s not much point.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie

Thank you !!   Very good information for all of us. 

"If you want to switch from an Advantage Plan to Original Medicare, you will probably not be able to purchase a supplement to go with it, nor will you be able to purchase a separate RX plan."    This is what I was thinking about but got wrong.   Once you have an ADV Plan, you can't change to Medicare + a supplemental plan.   Unless you do it within a certain time frame.   My sister ran into this and made the change just in the nick of time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been paying $134 a month for part B since I enrolled last year. My part D decreased so I’m paying less this year. I don’t know who the “little guys”are. I chose a supplement without any co pays or out of pocket expenses. I’m satisfied with my coverage.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My insurance agent sells everything in Advantage plans and supplements except BC/BS. I told him what Carmie writes here all the time about not being able to switch from an advantage plan to a supplement and he swears by all that's holy this is not true. He says that as long as your not being currently under any treatment you can switch. What you can not do is switch while under care - for instance if you are diagnosed with cancer and getting chemo - you would not be able to switch until your chemo treatments are finished - but then you could switch no problem.

You can never switch from am Advantage Plan to a Supplement.  You would have to drop your Aduvantage Plan and then pick up Original Medicare....which you can do with no problems.  You will probably not be able to pick up a Supplement Plan to back up that Medicare Policy.  There are exceptions, but you have to qualify and most people do not. And the insurance company will charge you a much higher fee for the coverage if you are past the special enrollment period for Medicare Part B... three months before or after you were first eligible.

I don’t know anything about changing coverage while you are receiving treatments.  It could, however, be a special  privilege for people who live in Florida.  It is not a standard enrollment feature.

the following is from a Medicare and You booklet.

37FDFAAA-6327-4824-8106-3486A1FB6856.jpeg

Respected Contributor

My AARP went up to $173 this year per month.  When I started the plan 4 years ago it was around $130.  It is plan F tho, and I have to say the coverage is fabulous.  I never have to pay any balances.  I had a very bad case of bacterial pneumonia 2 years ago and not only did I have my 10 day hospital stay and several procedures, I had to have 30 days of IV antibiotics at the cost of $1200 a day.  This plan is being discontinued next year but ppl will be grandfathered in but they didnt say what the cost would be.  Ill have to wait and see if it is still affordable for me.

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

My AARP went up to $173 this year per month.  When I started the plan 4 years ago it was around $130.  It is plan F tho, and I have to say the coverage is fabulous.  I never have to pay any balances.  I had a very bad case of bacterial pneumonia 2 years ago and not only did I have my 10 day hospital stay and several procedures, I had to have 30 days of IV antibiotics at the cost of $1200 a day.  This plan is being discontinued next year but ppl will be grandfathered in but they didnt say what the cost would be.  Ill have to wait and see if it is still affordable for me.

@meem120, everyone is different as far as what they find affordable.

When I was investigating, the agent told me about Plan F being discontinued in 2020. They told me I was free to choose it if I wanted to, and safe through grandfathering, but that the premiums for Plan F were anticipated to go up in general, especially after 2020, because there would be less people in that pool going forward. They anticipated bigger premiums for F than anything else.

Instead they recommended (and I chose) Plan G, which is identical to Plan F in coverage except that you have to pay the Part B deductible - that’s the only difference.  The premiums are cheaper - for me the quote at the time was $50-$60/mo cheaper. I did the math, and especially thinking 15 years from now, I wanted to go “cheap but safe.” I’m not losing out on any coverage, and I can pay a deductible throughout the year if need be. Deductible is very affordable now. It’s always going to go up, though, like everything else.

The good news is, if you want to switch, going from Plan F to Plan G is downgrading - at least, it is until 2020, not sure about after that.

Respected Contributor

@151949  Thanks so much for your suggestion.  AARP is a great starting point, and I am looking into local seminars. 

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

I just signed up for Part A Medicare because you have to, but I'm still working and covered by my company insurance plan. It seems so convoluted and confusing, when you actually have to make a decision about coverage and supplimental plans.  It's a shame that is the case, but I guess that is why there are Medicare advisors who will give you suggestions at no cost.   I was BOMBARDED for the past year with Medicare offers...  phone calls throughout the day and mailings.  OMG.

How have most of you gotten your information and made your decisions?  Thanks.

I was in that situation for a year and a half before I retired. It was confusing. 

I did as much online research as I could about all facets, and then I stumbled across the very helpful website of an agency that handles nothing but Medicare supplements; it’s their specialty. They know what is/isn’t sold in any given state. I was impressed with them when I signed up and I still am; they do yearly follow-ups with all their customers.

@Moonchilde  One of investment brokers said he would give me the name of a company that does that as well at no cost.  He likes them a lot.  I'm so happy you found a group that helped you and love the follow up part.  Would you be able to share the name of the website?  I too do a lot of research on most everything.  This one just has me shaking my head only because at this stage we should have smooth sailing to the next steps for coverage, and not have group after group coming after you, fighting to get you to sign with them, and  telling you that they are the best and highest rated.  We should not have to go through booklet after booklet to figure out parts A-Z, supplimental vs advantage (which is a new one for me).   Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I read that to mean you have the opportunity to change back to regular medicare any time within the first year, and don't have to wait til the fall sign up time - not that if you don't make that decision within the first year your skunked for life. Anyway, the only way I'll change over to regular medicare & a supplement will be if they eliminate advantage plans, which so far they haven't been able to do because too many people have advantage plans.As more & more younger retirees come along the ratio of those on advantage plans at low to no monthly premium is going to get higher & higher. People in the workforce are accustommed to having HMO & PPO because that is what companies offer so it doesn't bother them to have this in retirement. When I checked into the hospital to have my knee surgery the clerk in the office told me that about 3/4 of the people she checks in have the same insurance we have.