Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Supplements - Don’t Count the Little Guys Out

[ Edited ]

There is a poster on this board who says she works for medicare and is very knowledgeable & that those who chose to get a medicare supplement are not able to change their coverage once they pick one - that the sign up period in the fall doesn't really apply to supplement customers. This would make me extremely wary of getting a supplement - what if you choose a bad one - then your stuck forever.

Respected Contributor

I just signed up for Part A Medicare because you have to, but I'm still working and covered by my company insurance plan. It seems so convoluted and confusing, when you actually have to make a decision about coverage and supplimental plans.  It's a shame that is the case, but I guess that is why there are Medicare advisors who will give you suggestions at no cost.   I was BOMBARDED for the past year with Medicare offers...  phone calls throughout the day and mailings.  OMG.

How have most of you gotten your information and made your decisions?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 DH & I were totally confused by it all - didn't even know there were supplements vs advantage plans etc. We turned to AARP - attended town meetings, and went online to live AARP medicare chats when they have a medicare representative there to answer your questions. Was a lot of it really boring ? Yes it was BUT we learned a lot and we feel we made the right choice for us. The fact is - there is not one choice that is the best for everyone nor is one choice going to be the best for someone forever. Our needs change as we age. We feel it was time well spent to get ourselves educated BEFORE we were having to sign on the dotted line. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Moonchilde

Respected Contributor

I may be wrong but I believe it's the other way around.   You can't change advantage plans but supplemental plans are purchased outside of medicare on the open market and can be changed.

Maybe the 'local medicare expert' can clarify this.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  Are you referring to your Medicare Part B premiums?  My monthly cost is $134.  Those in higher annual income brackets based on their 2016 tax return pay an adjusted higher rate

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I may be wrong but I believe it's the other way around.   You can't change advantage plans but supplemental plans are purchased outside of medicare on the open market and can be changed.

Maybe the 'local medicare expert' can clarify this.

You can change to a different Advantage Plan and Medicare Part D ( RX Insurance) every year during open enrollment.

Medicare Supplements can be downgraded, but not upgraded yearly.  However, it will cost you more for a downgraded policy because of the higher fess that will be changed if your Medicare Part B insurance effective date was more than three months ago. So, why would anyone want to pay more for less coverage?  

You also can switch from Original Medicare and a Supplemental Plan to an Advantage Plan during open enrollment.  

If you want to switch from an Advantage Plan to Original Medicare, you will probably not be able to purchase a supplement to go with it, nor will you be able to purchase a separate RX plan.

So, though some changes are possible, they will be cost prohibited or not in anyone best interest.

Once you choose Original Medicare and a Supplement, you will probably have the supplement you have chosen for life, or until it is no longer offered unless you choose to trade it for an Advantage Plan.

Honored Contributor

My supplemental plan is a retirement benefit (company pays half of premium) ... United Healthcare.   I've been retired 7 years and the premium goes UP and DOWN ... depending on claims experience.  

By some standards, it might seem expensive - but it meets my needs.  For ordinary care it costs me nothng out-of-pocket.

Honored Contributor

My insurance agent sells everything in Advantage plans and supplements except BC/BS. I told him what Carmie writes here all the time about not being able to switch from an advantage plan to a supplement and he swears by all that's holy this is not true. He says that as long as your not being currently under any treatment you can switch. What you can not do is switch while under care - for instance if you are diagnosed with cancer and getting chemo - you would not be able to switch until your chemo treatments are finished - but then you could switch no problem.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Medicare is taking an additional 129 bucks , for a total of nearly 300 from my mom.  doesn't include the 297 for her supplement. This is my first year medicare, although I am 

almost 70, is 300,,  my supplemental is about 100 bucks. Total 400 a month for medicare.  My husband is almost the same, actually a little less.  Everyone I know had a huge hike this year, from 80-310

Those who are paying > $134/month for medicare it is because their income is high. Over a certain income threshold you pay by percentage instead of a flat rate. I'd say you should be glad to be in a higher income bracket & not complain.