Esteemed Contributor

I'm hoping this might be a simple question, and I'm trying to sort it out now on the Medicare website but...

I turned 65 last October and, as retired Federal employee, had a decent health care, so I only signed up for Medicare Part B.  I didn't switch out of my Federal plan.

What I failed to realize is that health plan had changed drug coverage and now I'm paying a fair amount for drugs that were previously no cost.  I'm wondering if I made a mistake not signing up for the Medicare drug coverage.

I'm not even sure if they would pick up any coverage not paid for by my other plan, so it might now even be an option.

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Check w/your state for Part D drug coverage.  Most if not all States have discounted drug coverage.

I pay $5 for all of my drugs through my State's discounted Part D insurance.

Since you are now on Medicare you should have the Medicare & You booklet.  The book is customized to the State you domicile in.  Check the booklet for all a list of all the discounted drug programs for Part D insurance plans your State has.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't quite understand 'D' myself......A couple of years ago, I recall neighbors (not next door, but around the corner) wondering what to do, but don't know what they decided/chose to do. They were in an HMO.  I might learn something here.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Good question, I will be interested in the responses you get. I am retiring in a few weeks, went to SS to sign up for medicare part B but I am waiting for my employer to forward confirmation of my current heathcare coverage to SS before I can get part B.  I am considering a supplemental plan and drug coverage is very important as I am on meds for diabetes. 

Esteemed Contributor

As I recall, you can not have Part D as long as you have other drug coverage.  You also must be careful not to have a lapse in coverage once you are on Medicare or you will pay a penalty once you switch to Part D.  You should check with your current insurance before you apply or drop anything.

Respected Contributor

Drugs that are covered and their cost varies across plans.  The plan d site allows you to enter info like your state of residence, your pharmacy,  and the medications you need, and it returns plans that cover those medications and tells you the cost of both the plan and the medications at various pharmacies in your area.  That allows you to determine which plans fit your needs.  

That said, I don't know how plan d fits in with your current health insurance coverage. Find an independent agent who can help you determine what you are required to have and / or eligible to enroll in. (Those in Medicare are required to be enrolled in a Plan D.  If a Medicare participant chooses to not enroll, he/she will pay more for it later for the rest of his/her life.).  Your situation is unusual, so seek the advice of a trained advisor.

Honored Contributor

From what I've heard, Part D is a gift from heaven.  

If you have any questions about having some coverge here and other coverage there, PLEASE talk to a licensed agent qualified to steer you through the Medicare maze.   The last thing you need is to "think" you're covered and find out some huge bill will be disallowed!

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Good question, I will be interested in the responses you get. I am retiring in a few weeks, went to SS to sign up for medicare part B but I am waiting for my employer to forward confirmation of my current heathcare coverage to SS before I can get part B.  I am considering a supplemental plan and drug coverage is very important as I am on meds for diabetes. 

If you join a Medicare Advantage plan, drugs are almost always, or always, included. If you purchase a supplemental plan (I did), you do need to also separately purchase a Part D plan as well.  As another poster suggested, google "Part D Yourstate" and you will come up with them.

Go to the websites and put in all of your medications (PIT*) so you will know what each plan covers for *your* medications - they do vary. Then you can make an informed choice.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Remember there is a coverage gap referred to as the donut hole in part D. After you meet a certain amount of money spent on prescriptions they pay a lesser percentage until you reach another amount referred to as catastrophic then they pay 100%, I think. 

So it depends on how expensive your prescriptions are.

My husband gets in the donut hole around April so for us the coverage is lousy. We had much better coverage with my employment plan but a couple of years ago they decided to drop medicare eligible people so that's the best we can do.

The donut will close in 2020.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

From what I've heard, Part D is a gift from heaven.  

If you have any questions about having some coverge here and other coverage there, PLEASE talk to a licensed agent qualified to steer you through the Medicare maze.   The last thing you need is to "think" you're covered and find out some huge bill will be disallowed!

I am on all generics (had an HMO while working). I swear that even with my monthly premium for Part D, my co-pays & all come out to slightly less than what my work insurance paid under Blue Shield. I'm definitely not unhappy!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all