Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare. I'm Officially Old :(

@monicakm wrote:

@Carmie 

Carmie, is AARP something I don't want or need?  Ins lady asked me today if we had it.  

You do not need AARP to enroll in Plan G.  Plan G is sold in all 50 states and is exactly the same coverage no matter where you purchase it from.

UHC offers Plan G on it's own, or you can sign up for AARP to get it.  AARP endorses UHC insurance plans, but other than that they have nothing to do with insurance.

In some cases, you can get a discount thru AARP, but not always.  Plan G is one I would recommend if you can afford it.

I am guessing your broker compared prices of Plan G with all available insurance companies in your area?

You need to join AARP to get their endorsed insurance plans, but you do not need to pay your dues to keep it.  

So, next year, if your don't want AARP, just don't pay for it and let it lapse.  It won't affect your Plan G supplement.

One thing you want to do each year during open enrollment in the fall is have your broker go over your RX drugs and see what is the best prescription plan for you.

It is worth it to change RX plans if you have to, to get the best coverage.  

You never have to bother changing anything with Plan G.  It will last you your entire life.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

When the ins lady offered this plan, she didn't compare plans.  Towards the end of the visit, I asked her if she just goes straight to the most expensive plan with everyone.  She said she does and her reasoning was due to what it covered.  Well that's the same with any ins for anything.  I told her my husband is going to ask about other options.  Then she showed me the differences in plans. 

@monicakm I had already done my Part A & B, and Part D for prescriptions before I even called Boomer Benefits, which is the broker I used.  I also had already pulled up what plans and companies were available to me.  But, I wanted to get some input, mostly about historical price increases for the plans I was looking at.  The reason I went with Boomer Benefits was because they will help you in the event there's an issue, whether it be the Dr.'s office coding incorrectly or the insurance not paying when they should; or maybe just to explain to me why they shouldn't be paying when I thought they should.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Carmie 

Carmie, is AARP something I don't want or need?  Ins lady asked me today if we had it.  

@monicakm I have the same plan.  You need to be a member of AARP to get the insurance, but after the first year you can drop it.  I was prepared to do that, but for some reason, I wasl already in AARP's system, so I didn't have to pay that 1st year's membership.  

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the club!  I also have plan G and did not go with an Advantage plan. 

I'm lucky my neighbor is an insurance agent so he stopped by to  explain everything when I needed to sign up.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Carmie 

I guess I have more questions to ask her.  So do you know why she suggested AARP?

Honored Contributor

I have to have AARP to get United Health Care? 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

Can you please send him to Texas? Smiley Happy

Had you decided on a plan G or

was it his suggestion?

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thanks @Carmie 

I guess I have more questions to ask her.  So do you know why she suggested AARP?

If I had to guess, I'd say UHC insurance with a AARP membership was less expensive for you

or

She makes more commission selling UHC through AARP.

or

both

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I have to have AARP to get United Health Care? 

No, you can buy UHC Plan G insurance directly from UnitedHealth Care Insurance Co.

Or

Get the exact same coverage with a AARP membership.

The prices could be different.  Sometimes, but not always AARP can get you a small discount.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm.  Actually you've been considered "old" for years and just didn't know it.

The Age Discrimination Act of 1975, protects workers age 40+ from discrimination.  Their advanced age makes the vulnerable to exclusion from certain jobs.

Here's the nitty gritty of the Act:

The Age Discrimination Act of 1975 prohibits discrimination on the basis of age in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. The Act, which applies to all ages, permits the use of certain age distinctions and factors other than age that meet the Act's requirements. The Age Discrimination Act is enforced by the Civil Rights Center.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects certain applicants and employees 40 years of age and older from discrimination on the basis of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, or terms, conditions or privileges of employment

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment