Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage commercials

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Those ads just use the Medicare Advantage Plans to lure people in, transfer them to an insurance agent & then they get the upsell pitch...it's easy to get played when you want or you NEED something for nothing & those companies know it.

@kitcat51 

OMG ...  seriously????   

You are not clear on how these work.   Advantage plans are not a "lure" .....  and the agents that represent Medicare plans (any of them) do not make a commission on whatever anyone chooses.  It's against the law.  

Based on your comments, I'm curious ....  are you already on Medicare?   

@Tinkrbl44- the point is these ads are not affliated with Medicare.gov and are essentially a form of telemarketing.  One is calling a boiler room.

Respected Contributor

Trusted Contributor

They are very careful with their wording..  Of course you will get money back into your ss but they neglect to tell  you that you will have to pay same amount to an advantage program.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Those ads just use the Medicare Advantage Plans to lure people in, transfer them to an insurance agent & then they get the upsell pitch...it's easy to get played when you want or you NEED something for nothing & those companies know it.

@kitcat51 

OMG ...  seriously????   

You are not clear on how these work.   Advantage plans are not a "lure" .....  and the agents that represent Medicare plans (any of them) do not make a commission on whatever anyone chooses.  It's against the law.  

Did you read my reply, if so you didn't understand it. I have a Medicare Advantage Plan & those companies use Advantage Plans as a LURE to transfer you to a high pressure insurance salesperson to get you to buy coverage from them. Wise up @Tinkrbl44,  they have nothing to do with Medicare...even the small print at the bottom of the tv ads state that.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

They ask you to call and give your zip code, terrible marketing ploy. 

@Shelbelle 

It's not a "marketing ploy".   Your insurance rates are based on your home zip code.  How else can they give you a quote, if applicable, without knowing your zip code?   

Example ... in California, the exact same Medicare insurance is a little higher in Beverly Hills than it is in Bakersfield.  You'd have to speak to an actuary for all the reasons this is true, but that's how it's based.  No "ploy".  

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 

OMG ...  seriously????   

@Tinkrbl44- the point is these ads are not affliated with Medicare.gov and are essentially a form of telemarketing.  One is calling a boiler room.

@qbetzforreal 

ANY Medicare Advantage plan out there has received federal approval from Medicare to offer an Advantage plan.  This is serious business and insurance fraud has huge, huge penalties.   If you are talking about something else, I've never seen commercials like that.  

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

They are very careful with their wording..  Of course you will get money back into your ss but they neglect to tell  you that you will have to pay same amount to an advantage program.

@Junebug54 

Sorry, but I'm not following you .... are you talking about Medicare Advantage plans .... or reverse mortgages .... or something else?   

Valued Contributor

I just don't get why those ads are still on ! ?  The open enrollment ended in December , it's nearly February and they still play the tune !  To who ? And so much misinformation ! 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 

OMG ...  seriously????   

@qbetzforreal 

ANY Medicare Advantage plan out there has received federal approval from Medicare to offer an Advantage plan.  This is serious business and insurance fraud has huge, huge penalties.   If you are talking about something else, I've never seen commercials like that.  

Once again for those who think they know but don't, these companies have NOTHING to do with Medicare...the small print at the bottom of the tv ads state that.

Valued Contributor

kitcat51   You are correct , ads are not from Medicare . I have an Advantage Plan and it's the best health insurance I have ever had . Still wondering why they continue to keep the ads going since the enrollments period is over ! I know that there are new people coming of age , but hopefully they won't shop on a TV ad for Medicare !