Super Contributor

Medicare Advantage commercials

I cringe when the celebrities come on, pushing the Medicare Advantage plans.  Two, in particular, are especially annoying; Joe Namath & Jimmy Walker.  The years have certainly not been kind to either of these individuals and I think it's sad that they still have to work!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage commercials

Let's also add Tom Selleck and those reverse mortgage commercials. Sad that he needs the money also.

Respected Contributor

Those ads just use the Medicare Advantage Plans to lure people in, transfer them to an insurance agent & then they get the upsell pitch...it's easy to get played when you want or you NEED something for nothing & those companies know it.

Esteemed Contributor

Those ads are so misleading., They transfer you to an insurance agent.  I have a local agent I visit every year to learn my options. And it's free.

Honored Contributor

@Tuffcookie Re Joe Namath.  He's 78 and IMO looks pretty good.  I was surprised to see that Tom Selleck is 77. Didn't think he was that old.

Honored Contributor

There is no way Tom Selleck needs any money.

Honored Contributor

@bohogypsy I can't stand him. He's so arrogant in those ads. I either FF or change the station immediately. Same goes for those other 2 has beens.

Respected Contributor

They may not have to work at all. Such personalities don't want to be forgotten. They run toward the camera, if opportunity occurs. And, offerings are few with age. Aging items and products are all that's offered. 

Besides, promoting Medicare plans isn't much of a job and likely not much of a money maker either. Perhaps they feel they are being helpful for senior peers, too. Some may not want to scale down their former lifestyle either, like most of us ordinary folks have to after retirement.

For all seniors' health, it's important to remain active and mentally stimulated. I have a family member turning 80 this year, who still works,  and believe me, he does't have to. He is very well off. It keeps him young for his age. 

I have a neighbor late 80's and one 94. They never stop. The guy in the 90's just stopped delivering Meals On Wheels a few years ago. These guys both drive and they're mentally sharp. They keep up with all current changes, and events -- even technology. Lives well lived.

The one in the 80's goes to the gym every morning at 5AM. These guys are perfect examples of the benefits of not retiring to a recliner, if at all possible. 

That said, my heart breaks when I see seniors still working who truly must, to be able to eat and have a meager roof over their head. There are far too many.

I remember the housekeeping ladies in the hospital working so hard. Some could hardly walk, with obvious arthritic hands, wielding the mops, with the young healthy male boss scolding them for not working faster. This has been their entire life. Struggles! That's the people I cringe for. But, I don't cringe for celebrities who had every advantage to save for retirement. If they didn't -- that's on them.

Btw, aging is not kind to anyone. It's a process that can never be mastered, but maximized with care and planning. 

Esteemed Contributor

Makes me wonder if in 25-30 years we'll see the likes of Brittney Spears, The Rock, Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper doing these ads.

Honored Contributor

@Tuffcookie wrote:

I cringe when the celebrities come on, pushing the Medicare Advantage plans.  Two, in particular, are especially annoying; Joe Namath & Jimmy Walker.  The years have certainly not been kind to either of these individuals and I think it's sad that they still have to work!

No money is enough for these has beens. They do these cheezy commercials because the agency that they work through sets it up... probably a pretty good income for all the times the commercial is run.  Who would believe that Jimmy Walker NEEDS  social security anyway..