Valued Contributor

Re: Meal From Your Childhood

There are many delicious meals that my mom prepared. Lasagna and chocolate cake for dessert was my special birthday dinner every year. But I loved her meatballs and meatloaf too. One of my grandmothers made the best French toast for me when I slept over her house. And my other grandmother made the most delicious vanilla and chocolate marble cake with chocolate icing. These all bring back great memories for me! 

Esteemed Contributor

Parents grew up in the south and dad was in the kitchen more than mom. Mom had a career and fixed more modern and quick meals that kids liked - burgers, grilled cheese, mac & cheese, spaghetti, chicken pot pies and sometimes pizza and tacos. Breakfasts like pancakes, biscuits/gravy and French toast. Dad liked comfort foods like corn bread, spam, strange organ meats, liver and onions, pork chops, stews, chicken and dumplings, fried chicken, pickled pigs feet in jar, Vienna sausages, olive loaf, corned beef hash, hot breakfasts. We even had scrambled eggs and brains. Wilted greens, cole slaw, potato salad, baked sweet potatoes. I was a skinny kid for a reason. For that past 30 years, I rarely eat meat.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so hungry reading all this!

My mom, and her mom, were fabulous cooks and bakers.  I did not inherit their talents. Mainly what mom cooked was fried with gravy on everything.  But what I loved the best was her meatloaf, baked beans, and baked potatoes meal.   She said as long as she had the oven turned on, she might as well bake everything.  I've tried to duplicate her meatloaf (I have her recipe), but can't.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

This made me smile.

I can remember on cold winter evenings, my mom would make vanilla pudding (the kind you cook) and she would drop a few choc chips in the dish. Something so simple, yet yummy.

Trusted Contributor

My mother didn't cook....we always teased her that she could burn water....luckily, my mom, brother and I lived my grandparents and my grandma was a fabulous cook. She could whip up a delicious meal with very few ingredients. My favorite meal was Pasties. They're like a Calzone, but made with pie crust, meat, potatoes and a bit of onion. Once baked, we put it on a plate and smothered it in rich brown gravy. She taught me to cook and I taught my son to make them and he taught my granddaughter. Still a family favorite by far.

Oh, and Tomato Soup with a grilled cheese is still my favorite lunch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom was a good cook so all the meals were EXCELLENT. from standard favorites pot roast to Italian to Mexican enchiladas....  The most fun was when she would make pancakes into animal shapes for breakfast.....😊

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Sundays after church, our lunch normally consisted of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and rolls.  I haven't had homemade fried chicken in years!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I would say my mother was a very good cook and an excellent baker.  Our biggest meal of the week was something she slow cooked while we were in church on Sunday morning.  Every evening meal was followed by a homemade dessert.  I have a few of her recipes, but I think she cooked and baked by instinct.  She was thrifty, as most people were who experienced the Depression.  Once in a while she made a bread pudding with leftover bread. Out of this world!  I don‘t have a recipe, nor have I found one that has come close.

She lived til 90.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles 

What state did you grow up in?  I remember southern peach pies.  I'm still in NC.  Smiley Happy

@ECBG My mother is the southern belle. I grew up on the west coast.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

My grandmother was a wonderful cook and baker.  My grandparents lived downstairs from us so I saw her cooking and baking all the time.  I thought I would just know how to cook and bake when I got older but did not happen for me.  My cousins and I do have a number of her recipes though.

Anyway, we always had a big Sunday dinner.  She usually made two kinds of meats, a chicken and maybe a pork roast, mashed potatoes, usually a few different vegetables, homemade applesauce, dinner rolls, all followed by multiple desserts, usually a pie and cake.  She always had dinner ready for my grandfather when he came home from work and she made lunch for me.  At my school, we came home for lunch.  Wish I would have paid closer attention.