Honored Contributor

Re: Meal From Your Childhood

In the summer fresh crowder peas with bacon and or ham; sauteed okra; cornbread, sliced ripe tomatoes, and watermelon for dessert.

Also charcoaled burgers, a coke and home made ice cream for dessert. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grilled cheese sandwich with Campbell's Tomato soup (made with milk, not water). 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Another southerner for sure!!! Yum.

Honored Contributor

My mother is a great cook although I don't eat 80% of what she makes, now.  Changed my eating habits to plant based. 

But my cooking for my husband, mimics her in every way.  Never opened a cookbook, but just new how to make a tasty meal. I'm not much of a baker and she isn't a baker (from scratch) either.  

Don't know why, but my sisters never like to cook and to me it came like swimming, no lessons needed.

Only one meal I could not stand and that was liver.  Omg, don't know why anyone would think that was worthy of food.  My dad was working in a meatroom one time (mechanic working on machinery) and they were slicing liver and he saw cycsts and thank the heavens we never had to eat it again!

Honored Contributor

Chicken livers, salmon croquettes, tuna fish sandwiches, liver and onions

Super Contributor

My Mom's speciality was fried chicken with mashed potatoes and Swiss steak with mashed potatoes and green beans.  I miss Mom.  

Respected Contributor

My favorite meal that conjures up memories is when my grandmother would put a can of Campbell's soup in a saucepan on the stove.

That meant my grandfather could have that for dinner as we were getting "dressed up" and would take the streetcar downtown to shop.

Those days were the very best, especially during the Christmas season.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

My dad cooked "sometimes" and when he did we loved it!

His Friday night "specialty" (my mother bowled) he added to Ragu jar sauce drained italian tuna fish, peas & potatoes.  Then he'd make thin spaghetti with garlic toast.

As I type this I still him wearing my mother's frilly apron as a joke. 😳.

And he made fried potatoes, over easy eggs better than me! Or good ole Campbell's Tomato soup with milk and delicious.  cooper sharp sliced cheese grilled cheese style. Yum..

In a pinch this was Friday dinner if hadn't gone to supermarket.

Sundays all the relatives came to our home for the day andalways had a lasagna roas beef & potatoes. 

Honored Contributor

I loved my mother's Beef Stroganoff, lamb chops,  scalloped potatoes, fluffy buttery turnips...  Her egg salad sandwiches, even, had that little "zing" that made them a crowd-pleasing delicacy.

When you were sick, she'd put a lot of effort into tempting you with rare treats--  when I had a cold, she'd make root beer floats, one of the rare times outside of Christmas that we'd have "pop". 

Like so many Canadians,  on December 25 she always served delicious plum pudding, "Christmas pudding",  with the rich caramel sauce she made.  It was so good, I demanded it for Thanksgiving as well....

Respected Contributor

My mom was a great cook.  I loved her Swiss steak (brown gravy not red). She baked bread and rolls every Friday.  I swear that was dinner most Fridays.  Lots of great memories.   We had pot roast a lot on Sundays cooked long and slow.  My house never smelled like hers cooking roast.  That’s what I remember most.