Honored Contributor

Re: Meal From Your Childhood

On certain days my mom would make a platter full of homemade gyozas (potstickers), tempura veggies and tempura shrimp. Us kids were wild about that stuff! I never did learn how she made that batter. All of her recipes were written in Japanese and I never took the time to have them translated. Maybe one day I will.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My mother's pasta ******ioli. She didn't make it like soup. It was thick and rich. She passed when I was 9 and I still remember this dish like I had it yesterday. 🙏❤️

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandma was a fabulous cook & baker of traditional Jewish food. When grandma cooked, which was often, the neighbors came knocking .Mom would always help. I have great memories of the two of them cooking, tasting & laughing.

My favorites: Chicken soup with matzah balls

Potato latkes    
                        Gefilte fish

Potatoe knishes

Cheese blintzes    
                        Cholent ( Jewish version of beef stew)

Stuffed veal 

Challah bread

Ruggelach 

Apple strudel 

Sweet noodle pudding 

Respected Contributor

Fried chicken cooked in a cast iron skillet, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, homemade roll with honey butter. Chocolate pie with 4 inch meringue.

My Mother was a wonderful woman and a great cook.

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles 

What state did you grow up in?  I remember southern peach pies.  I'm still in NC.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Both my mom and dad liked to cook, and they made some great meals. For my mother it was her Sunday beef roast with potatoes, carrots and parsnips, and then homemade gravy when it was all done. She'd put it in her roasting pan before we went to church and it was done at noon. My dad was a meat cutter at a local grocery store, so he'd cut the roast himself to make sure it was "extra good" as he'd say. I've never been able to make it taste the same way. For my dad, it was his fried chicken in a cast iron skillet. And for my birthday from age 1 to 18, it was a double heart shaped cherry cake with pink 7-minute frosting.....all homemade and always made with love.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Jordan2  I've mentioned this before. My very favorite was fried rabbit and mashed potatoes or turnips with our own frozen corn. We had it for only a few weeks in the fall during hunting season. Mom was a great cook, but this was the best. She would flour and pan fry the rabbit pieces in butter. I would take it over lobster or any other delicacy you could think of. I haven't had it in nearly 50 years.

@PA Mom-mom  I put a heart, but can't imagine eating a bunny.

@Shanus  I'm sorry. I don't mean to offend. There are many of us out there who depended on meat harvested from the land. 

Honored Contributor

Anything from a restaurant or take-out

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Jordan2  I've mentioned this before. My very favorite was fried rabbit and mashed potatoes or turnips with our own frozen corn. We had it for only a few weeks in the fall during hunting season. Mom was a great cook, but this was the best. She would flour and pan fry the rabbit pieces in butter. I would take it over lobster or any other delicacy you could think of. I haven't had it in nearly 50 years.

@PA Mom-mom  I put a heart, but can't imagine eating a bunny.

@Shanus  I'm sorry. I don't mean to offend. There are many of us out there who depended on meat harvested from the land. 

Oh geez, @PA Mom-mom . You misunderstood. I'm not offended. I grew up in NC. My Dad went hunting every weekend and we had beagles that went him and his buddies. I just meant that rabbits are so cute, like puppies and kittens, etc. No offense meant or received.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   By the way, my grandchildren call me Mom Mom.