Honored Contributor

Is there a food or meal that conjures up memories of when you were a child? My mother, God rest her soul was not a good cook. She made us kids fish sticks and cheese ravioli with Ragu jarred sauce. We loved that meal, however my mother would make us drink milk with that meal, the sauce and milk were not a good combination, it left a film on top of the milk in the glass! It makes me smile when I think of it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Meal From Your Childhood

For my birthday in June, we always ate outside and had cold fried chicken, potato salad, mom made the best, black olives and, of course, birthday cake.  Still my favorite meal.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My mom wasn't the best cook in the world either, which we didn't know when we were kids.  We always love our mom's cooking.  My mom made fried chicken livers with mac&cheese and corn muffins.  I loved that meal when I was kid.  Even though the chicken livers were sort of burnt...LOL   

Regular Contributor

Spaghetti and  meatballs with spatini spaghetti sauce mix.  I don't even know if theymake that any more. Also hot roast beef sandwiches.  My mother made her own gravy and it was delicious.  I am not a big gravy lover in general so that really says something!

Honored Contributor

I loved Tacos from Taco Bell. It was probably my favorite food

Super Contributor

My mother was not a good cook either. I do not remember a time when she didn't work. By the time she picked us up from the babysitter and got home, it was close to 6:00. Everything was thrown together quickly to feed 3 hungry kids. One of my favorites was goulash. Hamburger meat, diced tomatoes, corn , green beans, tomato sauce, and macaroni. It made alot and almost everything came from a can. I have some in the freezer now to heat and put over macaroni.

Honored Contributor

Breakfast for dinner:  Pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs.

Valued Contributor

Gizzards( Not touching nasty livers!),sweet potatoes after school in winter,strawberry cake for my June birthday

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandmother raised me, and there is hardly a food I don't remember of hers. She had owned a restaurant before she came to take care of me. Her roast beef with the deep brown gravy was fabulous, as was the fried chicken and milk gravy or pork chops with gravy. Her New England Boiled Dinner was soul warming as was her white limas and ham. And I loved her meat loaf and scalloped potatoes. She made home made cinnamon rolls that were to die for, as were her pies. She taught me how to make her pie crust and I have passed that on to another special girl who is my surrogate grand daughter. My one regret is that I never learned how to make her Scottish steamed Christmas pudding, which she had in her head. It was fabulous and nothing like the English version. She topped it with either warm lemon curd, or warm cinnamon sauce. It was always a tradition in our house, and Christmas has not been the same without it. I've tried to duplicate it, but so far I haven't succeeded.

Respected Contributor

macaroni and Cheese made with Velveeta ....and my Mother

always made lemon meringue pie with graham cracker

crust .....and I remenber one time my father made homemade

french fries .....