Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bet its a mouse gnawing on something.  They move so fast, they're gone if you go looking for them.

@Kachina624 : The pest control company that I found offers wild life inspections and removal. I will get them to inspect the attic  and property.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

If the noise is during the day, it might just be those BATS scuttering around.  They leave near sunset and return before sunrise.  It happened to me.  Ugh!

@RoughDraft : Yikes. Not fun. Hope they leave and don't return.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Could be a cricket.

@Porcelain : Had issues in the past with crickets and this was a different sound.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SouthernBee 

SO very sorry!  We had Chimney Sweeps (bird) get into our chimney which sounded awful!  I could hear them through the damper.

We have also had a bat get into our master BR and dive bomb us by flying under the tester top.

Then, the giant king snake that lived for years in the garage/basement.  (Not poisionious, just big!). We didn't have a single mouse though, and she stayed out of sight.

Such is life in the woods!

@ECBG : Yikes all the critters that I don't like. DH laughs and shakes his head when I see a snake on tv and beg him to turn the channel.😳😄

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

If you have a fireplace there are certain birds who will nest in the fireplace.

Several times over the years we've had to get them out.

Also squirrels will get in fireplaces, etc.

We've had squirrels get in the attic at our house.  My late husband (as a favor) got squirrels out of the attic even a year after the people moved in a house he built.

@Annabellethecat66 : Thank goodness this house doesn't have a fireplace. You have so many special memories of your precious DH.

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

Our house was built in 1900 so we always have things to fix.  Earlier this winter I was laying in bed and heard something scurrying above in the attic.  It was so loud, it sounded like it must be at least the size of a large cat.  Sounded so creepy.

Hubby investigated and found it was a squirrel and chased it out and and thought he sealed it up from the inside.  That worked for a few months but a few weeks ago, the scurrying was back.  He finally had to go up on the ladder and replace some stuff.  Thank goodness he knows how to do just about everything inside and out or we'd go broke paying people to fix things!

@lkat : Same thing happened in our previous house and DH was able to remove the squirrel and do the necessary repairs. DH is no longer physically able to do so many things.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Please @SouthernBee have someone come out and check if you continue to hear something.  A valuable lesson I learned.

@mspatmac : Thank you. Will have everything checked. Didn't hear anything during the night and thankfully still quiet.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

So, I'm wondering what kind of sound you are hearing?  I'm thinking it's a chirping sound if you thought it was bird or a frog.

Unfortunately, if it's a critter in the wall, you're going to have a problem in a few days.  And it will last a few days.  Sorry!

@Lucky Charm : Sadly but true. Had the issues in our previous house.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

Ok y'all. I confess that I scare easy. Earlier today heard a sound and thought it was a bird out side. The sound has continued during the day. DH went outside and looked around. Some times it sounds behind the entertainment center or near my corner. My recliner is on side of the entertainment center. Sound is on and off but more frequent. Earlier  - thought could this be a frog outside? In my corner have pulled all furniture away from the wall and can't see or find anything. What if it is something in the wall?🤷‍♀️😳 Plus the thunderstorms have returned. I will probably sleep with all the lights on in the den. 

@SouthernBee   

Huh ...  I guess that means you don't have a dog or cat?   

If not, consider inviting a friend with a dog over and invite the dog, too.     Let the dog wander around and sniff and see what happenes.

While my indoor cat Bogey isn't really what you'd call a top notch hunter, last week a small spider DARED to sneak in from the patio, and Bogey refused to allow him access.  That spider couldn't get back outside fast enough! 

Go Bogey!  Cat Very Happy    LOL

@Tinkrbl44 : Thanks for sharing. Love your cat. No real dog or cats. DH had a dog growing up. We found a large stuffed dog very much like his dog. I had his father's favorite rocking chair restored. That rocking chair is in our living room with the dog wearing one of DH military hats. People have laughed when they visit and just shake their head.  I tell people that it's our security system.

Honored Contributor

Hey @SouthernBee 

when 'we' first moved in down here in Tx. 12 yrs ago I was sitting in computer room that has those big windows that faces the street.

(country street) talking to my sister on phone back in Ind.  I looked out the window there was a snake looking at me thru the glass !!!!! slithering up and down the window glass !!!

I screamed on phone "  f ing snake on the window call U back" !!!

went and got a shovel found it now on the grass and at a distance sliced it's head off. You want to rid those things of their heads first.

don't know what kind it was.    New country subdivision at that time and guess snakes was being pushed out of habitat. That year came across 2 or 3. One time out push mowing saw one under a tree I just had planted and pushed the lawn mower on top of it.

haven't seen one now in yrs. guess they moved on when people came in. That's ok. LOL