Honored Contributor

Re: McStay Family Murderer Gets Death Penalty

@Mothertrucker   By his own admission, Chase put himself as the last person to see the McStay family alive.  Immediately after the murders, Merritt wrote checks for  himself  on the company books for thousands of dollars. He stole $32,000.00 worth of welding equipment.  He pleaded guilty for the financial crimes.  His entire defense was that the other partner (who was in Hawaii at the time) was the actual killer. I fail to understand why an intelligent person like Joseph McStay hired him in the first place.  He had a prison record a mile long.  Since his early 20's, he's been in prison for mostly white collar crimes, but occasional assaults too.  Allegedly Joseph McStay felt sorry for him, as he could not find any work (on his felony records) 

Respected Contributor

@songbird 

I saw an investigative report on this tragedy.  There were no signs of struggle nor blood anywhere in the house.  He may have pointed a gun at them and ordered them to march.  It is evident that she was in the middle of cooking breakfast.

That he may have raped her is shocking & disgusting.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

1 appeal within 12 months of the sentencing, then on with the the punishment. Maybe then those closely connected to this family can get, at least, some closure.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

unless they admit guilt they usually sit on death row for 20 some years fighting it in the courts.... our wonderful system... we  as tax payers get to fund his living expenses and his court fees. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to the finality of the death sentence, I am not for quick justice. I do believe that the convicted has the right to appeal regardless of the time factor. One innocent man or woman executed is one too many.

Here is the death row appeal process from beginning to end:

The Direct Appeal
The direct appeal is an automatic appeal given to everyone sentenced to death.  The appeal is made to the state’s highest court in which someone can seek an appeal from a conviction and death sentence. In some states, this appeal is mandatory but in others, it is optional for the defendant.

The direct appeal is limited to issues from the trial.  Typically, the prosecutor and the defense file briefs and oral arguments are held before a panel of judges.  After reviewing the case, the judges can affirm the conviction and sentence, reverse the conviction, or reverse the death sentence.

The direct appeal for federal cases is also limited to issues from the trial, but is handled by federal courts, rather than state courts.

Either losing side can then petition for a writ of certiorari with the U.S. Supreme Court,  requesting a review of federal constitutional issues.

State Post-Conviction
This is the second stage of the appellate process.  Petitions are first filed with the original trial judge, then appealed to any intermediate courts (when applicable), and then finally to the state's highest court.  At this stage, the defendant may raise issues surrounding the conviction and sentence that are outside of the record.  The defendant can raise issues such as ineffective assistance of counsel, juror misconduct, newly-discovered evidence and Brady violations (A Brady violation occurs when the state withholds evidence that could help the defense's case).  There are strict timelines that must be followed when filing this appeal, and missing a timeline may end a defendant's appeals.  The defendant may again choose to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for a writ of certiorari.  If the Court denies the writ, the defendant has exhausted all State remedies, and the case can be continued in federal court.

Federal Habeas Corpus
Federal habeas corpus is the final stage of the appeals process, and is limited to federal issues raised on appeal in the State courts.  For federal death row inmates, this is the stage of the appeals process that allows them to raise issues outside the trial record. The federal appeals process consists of three levels.

A petition to the U.S. District Court is the first step in federal post-conviction review.  The decision is made by a judge reviewing briefs filed by the prosecution and the defense. The judge may also grant a hearing on new evidence.  The judge can dismiss the petition, overturn the conviction, or overturn the sentence.

Permission to appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals is not automatic and must be granted by the U.S. District Court or the Court of Appeals.  The appeal is limited to issues raised in the U.S. District Court. If the conviction or sentence is overturned in federal review, the state is usually given the opportunity to re-try the defendant.  If the U.S. Court of Appeals denies relief, the only option is to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for a writ of certiorari.

The U.S. Supreme Court is the last resort for defendants appealing their death sentence.  The Court, however, only reviews a handful of death penalty cases a year. When a writ of certiorari is denied by the U.S. Supreme Court, the defendant has exhausted his appeals.  The only relief available to the defendant is executive clemency. 

Executive Clemency
Executive clemency is the power held by a governor or other body to grant relief to a person facing execution.  The governor may postpone an execution in order to allow time for further review or may commute a defendant's death sentence to a lesser sentence, such as of life without parole.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

@songbird 

I saw an investigative report on this tragedy.  There were no signs of struggle nor blood anywhere in the house.  He may have pointed a gun at them and ordered them to march.  It is evident that she was in the middle of cooking breakfast.

That he may have raped her is shocking & disgusting.

That and the death of the two children is the most shocking.  You can' find rape evidence on a skeleton.  This Merritt guy is such a low life.  In and out of prison most of his adult life. Joseph McStay must have felt sorry for the guy to give him a chance to work for him.  Merritt already pleaded guilty to embezzlement and theft. The other partner (the one the defense claimed did the actual killing) was no prize either.  But, he was in Hawaii as he claimed.  The police looked at him, but turned their attention back to Merritt. I doubt he will be executed.  So it's really a mute point.  He won't get out (again) to harm other people.

Honored Contributor

One day I was in the waiting room at my dentist and I read about the crime in People Magazine. Wouldn't have known about the crime of not for that. What a horrible thing to do to someone who tried to help you.

Respected Contributor

It never takes long for some to chime in with the inevitable "baby killers don't fare well in prison."

Yeah, they do. With the REST of the baby killers.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

One day I was in the waiting room at my dentist and I read about the crime in People Magazine. Wouldn't have known about the crime of not for that. What a horrible thing to do to someone who tried to help you.

@AuntG   It was in that magazine the week that the Investigation Discovery Network was doing a one-hour show on it, "People Magazine Investigates."  

Honored Contributor

So what if these people get the death penalty.  That doesn't mean one single thing.

I watch these shows and now (almost 8 times out of 10) when people are killed they will get life.

As long as they're breathing air there is a chance they will get out.

Now I'm not talking about these people from a long time ago who were put in jail and have said for like 20-25 or more years they are innocent and it's never been really proven they are guilty...

I'm talking about the one's you know absolutely they are guilty and most of the time they eventually admit they did it.

So, they're in jail, watching TV, getting degrees, working out, breathing air and the devestation they've left behind is terrible.

For generations people continue to suffer.

More people needs to watch some of these shows that for 20-30 years the crime hasn't been solved and then even when they catch the person....the terrible chaos they've left behind is terrible.