Regular Contributor

Re: McDonalds showing calories

IMO if calories are a concern, avoid fast foods and processed foods. Although the caloric value of each item has been listed for some time, those concerned remind me of people who will either buy a full on heart clogging sandwich/fires yet get a diet soda OR a healthier meal with a super sized non diet beverage.

Respected Contributor

What does fast food have to do with calories?

There are plenty of non fast food items that are loaded with calories like salad dressings, bread, mashed potatoes, lasagna, etc.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

In NYC food chains must list the calories on the menu. What good is it that I must hunt it down on a website when I'm next in line. Many times, I wanted a sweet treat and will walk away bc it is listed as 500 calories. 

I know that a giant cookie is hundreds of calories but...if I don't it listed, out of sight, out of mind. It does give you pause when you see the fried chicken + french fries meal's calorie count. shudders but I will eat it from time to time.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

It's a fact.

Whenever someone has a gripe about anything in America it's McDonald's that gets slammed. 

Showing the calorie content was what folks were griping about over fast foods.  McDonald's of course was slammed.  Like we all weren't born with common sense and brains to know what to eat and what portions, etc. as to what is good and healthy for us. 

People are born with common sense and brains to know what and how much to eat?

I don't think so.  They learn it, good or bad.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

While out shopping today we went thru McD drivethru to get iced coffees.We noticed that on the menu boards they now post the calories of their drinks.Over the years McD has gotten a bad rap for the high fat & calories of their drinks. Good for them posting this information. 

Sorry you are getting slammed with old news but I'm the same way, it's probably been there and you never paid attention to it. 

I'm that person who says, how long has that been hanging there and someone replies years.   Just think I wanted to be a FBI agent, that would of been a short iived career, takes me years to notice something...LOL

At least I know there's another one of me out there.

Honored Contributor

Anything that can be done by private industry or the government to make the public more aware of healthful choices is a plus with me. Not only is it good social policy; it's a fiscally responsible policy as well.

Of course there will be those don't care or who even resent such programs, but if even if it helps a small percentage of people, it is working.

The best PSAs I see are geared toward parents. They're not preachy but very upbeat about healthful food and exercise. In fact, one of the ads by a California agency features the vendor for Earth Shoes (formerly the vendor of Birkenstock) portraying a mother with her children.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland