Super Contributor

Re: McDonalds Ruined my Happy Meals

@Just Bling Did you also collect the beanie babies from McDonalds?  I have a select few I've kept over the years, the rest of them I gave away.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@new nickname 4 

Oh yes, and all McDonalds weren't issuing the numbers at the same time.

I lucked out with one of my former customers, she was a manager of a group of 12 plus stores and she got me the entire collection of the Smurfs...love those guys.

@rms1954 I wish you were my neighbor, I would be glad to take them off your hands.

Now for reducing plastics, we have a long way to go, plastic toys is not the problem, they do not end up in the ocean.

Plastic bottles do, how about all those plastic containers that you get from the deli, how about all those plastic storage containers, how about large totes, locknlock and automobile parts.  If you research the group that is picking up the plastic salvage (there was a Nat Geo special on this) we the U.S. are not the problem.  The majority of the ocean's pollution is coming from overseas and I thought that was interesting.  

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling 

From a blogger who's cleaned up oceanside before: "...however, it is a misconception that the problem is purely down to ‘one use’ bottles and packaging. Yes, this is a major contributor but it is far from the whole story. If you have ever done a beach clean, you will find all sorts of plastic items and it is highly likely that you will find a children’s toy or two."

Respected Contributor

It’s a large problem that needs many incremental solutions.
Respected Contributor

@Sushismom 

This was not a debate but appreciate all your efforts you do for the environment or have done.

Honored Contributor

I remember when Cracker Jacks went from cute stuff to paper kwap.  Sad sad day for kids.  

Honored Contributor

There is a shortage  of toys right now accross the board.  It's gonna be a sad Christmas for many.

This might have triggered McD to find alternative "toys" for their Happy Meals.

Perhaps when things get back to normal, they will again offer the popular plastic toys.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember when Cracker Jacks used to have little plastic toys eons ago? Then they went to cardboard toys.

Honored Contributor

Sad for you, but better for the environment.  I hope they come up with some interesting paper things.  Maybe we should learn origami.

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Just Bling 

From a blogger who's cleaned up oceanside before: "...however, it is a misconception that the problem is purely down to ‘one use’ bottles and packaging. Yes, this is a major contributor but it is far from the whole story. If you have ever done a beach clean, you will find all sorts of plastic items and it is highly likely that you will find a children’s toy or two."

@Sushismom One or two toys? That's not that many. 

I hope if McD's switches to paper and cardboard, they use recycled paper and cardboard